Replacement Bow Eye for 14' Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 79 Alumacraft F7. The hull is solid but there are a few things that need attention, a broken bow eye being one of them.

Is there a replacement eye available that will fit?

I guess the other option is to grind off whats the left of the eye until it's flat, and drill a hole all the way through the center of it then install a universal bolt style eye. I might be able to make a V-shaped block to install on the inside to prevent it from tearing through.

The boat is not heavy in the slightest.

Call Alumacraft in St. Peter

507-931-7947

Tell them your make, model, year if possible. They probably have overstock available. They might even ship the thing for free if you ask nicely.

MrGiggles said:
I guess the other option is to grind off whats the left of the eye until it's flat, and drill a hole all the way through the center of it then install a universal bolt style eye. I might be able to make a V-shaped block to install on the inside to prevent it from tearing through.
That's exactly what I did to replace a bow eye on a previously owned tin.

DaleH said:
MrGiggles said:
That's exactly what I did to replace a bow eye on a previously owned tin.

This.

I ground off my old bow eye (single bolt style), drilled another hole, then installed a dual-bolt bow eye.

CMOS

I grabbed one of these from Academy, ground the old eye mount flat, and drilled a hole all the way through the hull, with a big washer and nut on the back. I also drilled two small holes in the mount for the locating dowels on the new eye, to prevent it from twisting. Sealed it all up with silicon and it works great, rock solid.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-raider-single-shank-bow-eye

MrGiggles said:
... Sealed it all up with silicon and it works great, rock solid.
Less some silicone products use an acid (acetic) base ingredient as a dryer, that can corrode aluminum ... Most silicone products carry a caution not to use on aluminum items.

DaleH said:
MrGiggles said:
... Sealed it all up with silicon and it works great, rock solid.
Less some silicone products use an acid (acetic) base ingredient as a dryer, that can corrode aluminum ... Most silicone products carry a caution not to use on aluminum items.

Used Permatex ultra grey, all I had on hand, supposed to be non corrosive and ideal for aluminum. Not marine grade but the eye should never be under water anyway.

Latest posts