Is my outboard too low?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Trouble planing.... Is my cavitation plate to low?

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_093230251_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170714_093230251_HDR.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,656
No. But everyone here will say yes. If you want to make it 1-2 mph faster raise it up.

tomme boy said:
No. But everyone here will say yes. If you want to make it 1-2 mph faster raise it up.
Dang and I thought I was the only one.

Thinking a small hydrofoil will be the key.... May even get a sheet of aluminum and cut my own

Looks like it's trimmed way down. Is that the only way you can get it to plane? It might just be camera angle.

Yeah, that's on the lowest hole, I get the same results in the next one up... Any higher and it starts to slow down.

Raise it up a little and try it unless you want to go the jackplate route. Looks like you only need to come up an inch or so.

I may try that, I've already put a 50lb bag of sand up front but the nose won't quite drop enough to get it going.... Top speed so far is 12.3... With a 9.9 I was thinking I could get at least 15-17

If it's only a 9.9 cut a few strips of wood of varying height but the thickness of your transom and try moving it up and down and GPSing the result. Just make sure you crank that sucker down between adjustments. (Don't ask me how I know.... :oops: )

A hydrofoil isn't necessary to get it to plane, you have issues else where that can probably be fixed. My 14' V-hull with a 9.9 planes just fine and does 15-18 MPH GPS. 21 is the fastest I've ever had it. What pitch prop is on the boat and what are the dimensions of the boat? It should plane, even if the engine is mounted a little low.

You should reverse the exhaust cone. OMC put them on backwards 'cause Merc had the patent. The owners were suppose to figure out to reverse them on their own! It just taps off & back on.

mrdrh99 said:
I may try that, I've already put a 50lb bag of sand up front but the nose won't quite drop enough to get it going.... Top speed so far is 12.3... With a 9.9 I was thinking I could get at least 15-17

I'm running a 9.5 on a 14' tinner and get 14 MPH with ONLY me in the boat (200 lbs). If I get one other adult in the boat, it's 10-11 MPH at best.

CMOS

CedarRiverScooter said:
You should reverse the exhaust cone. OMC put them on backwards 'cause Merc had the patent. The owners were suppose to figure out to reverse them on their own! It just taps off & back on.

Never heard of this... Can you tell me a little more about that?

BoatingCop said:
A hydrofoil isn't necessary to get it to plane, you have issues else where that can probably be fixed. My 14' V-hull with a 9.9 planes just fine and does 15-18 MPH GPS. 21 is the fastest I've ever had it. What pitch prop is on the boat and what are the dimensions of the boat? It should plane, even if the engine is mounted a little low.

It has a 9 1/2-10

OK, I may be all wet, as I couldn't find any backup to that story on the web.

That is what the evinrude dealer told me when I bought a prop from them. They told me to reverse the ring.

CedarRiverScooter said:

That is what the evinrude dealer told me when I bought a prop from them. They told me to reverse the ring.
I still have no clue what you are talking about. Can you post a pic of the part in question? What range of motors does this apply to?

stinkfoot said:
CedarRiverScooter said:

I still have no clue what you are talking about. Can you post a pic of the part in question? What range of motors does this apply to?

Look at this picture, see the ring on the back of prop that looks like a ledge, turn it around and it provides a smooth transition off the back of the prop.

c85b5e8d407b1d5cc6cb8eebe594f043.jpg

That is just my guess, since I have never owned a Johnson or Evinrude that I have actually had on a boat in the water.

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

Exactly! The merc props have the hub flare formed in.

The Evinrude dealer said that the flare was to help extract exhaust.

Thinking about trying a different prop... That 9 1/2 x 10 is a little beat up anyhow. However, think I should add tach beforehand because I think I'd just be taking a shot in the dark without knowing my rpm

Latest posts