1973 Smoker Craft Tri-Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toguard87

Reaction score
I have a boat that is literally a blank slate. It's been gutted. It has a ton of epoxy on transom that is flaking off in sections. What is the way to clean that off? Is going to get an epoxy coating on it after its holes are filled and cleaned up. I'll take picks tomorrow and show you what I'm up against.

IMG_3434.JPGHere are a couple of pics. Sorry, i didn't have time to flip out over and give you inside pics. I'll do that after the weekend. [-o<

Attachments

• IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 529
oh my !!

we have a valued member here (DaleH) that LOVES this kind of stuff !!!

34.jpg
35.jpg

as for my personal Dos Centavos, I would skip the epoxy treatment on the transom
and after you get the transom skin cleaned up (surgically clean) I would use POR-15
and a layer of glass cloth on the inside. (skip the epoxy). then paint as desired.
POR-15.png

Johnny:

Intriguing you mentioned the POR 15 in connection with reworking the boat. That's some fabulous stuff for cars, but I've never heard/seen use of it in a boat application. I wonder if you would be kind enough to elaborate on your thinking and what you are trying to accomplish with it. I have a project boat that might be a candidate for what I think you might say, but want to hear it from you before my mind races too far ahead!

Thanks!

first of all, POR-15 is not just for rusty metal..... it can be used on any material.
steel, aluminum, fiberglass, even wood with an extremely aggressive and tenacious bond.
if you get it on your skin, you have to wear it off - no solvent will remove this stuff once it cures.
it is a one part urethane product that cures through moisture in the air.
I have used this product on a few old cars I have restored and a couple of aluminum boats.
it is a toss-up when you compare the price of $40 per pint to other similar products such as epoxy,
two-part primers and coatings, etc.
I just suggest anyone interested in a long time protection is to do the research themselves.

on tin boats with excessive corrosion, is a judgement call as to the repair process.
budget + time + skill level + tools and materials on hand + yada yada yada.

on the World Wide Web, for every problem you present, you could receive 50 different remedies.

disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with POR-15. . . . I just like it !!

Latest posts