Paint flaking...do I really need to paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrT

Reaction score
Would like to solicit some feedback to know what I should expect if I don't paint my boat right away.

I came across this 11' Starcraft (I think) that was abandoned. There are no identification marks so I'm guessing at the age of late 50s to early 60s.

Since I wand to fish in it asap...this summer...by not painting it now what problems can I expect? How important will it be to repainted the inside?

Thanks!IMG_4176.JPGIMG_4177.JPG

paint is only a COSMETIC. (depending of course, on how you maintain it).

pressure wash it and go fishing !!
the paint (remnants) that are there now are most likely 57 years old.
surely it will last until you can get to it in the winter time when you are all iced up and nowhere to go.

good luck in your new project !!

Aluminum CAN oxidize. . .But it will only get bad if it is constantly wet. I've found boats that were stashed in the woods that looked to be in great shape, but had a constant pool of water in them where the bottom had gotten all pitted to hell. That being said, you can get by without painting the inside at all. As long as you keep it dry when not in use.

Johnny said:

surely it will last until you can get to it in the winter time when you are all iced up and nowhere to go.

Great advice - I have been saying this for years - that is why you buy a tin boat. Wanna paint get a wood boat. Wanna wax and clean get a glass boat. Wanna fish GO TINNY

Johnny said:

Great advice and that is what we did. Boat only planes with my butt on the bow. We filled a bucket of yellow perch and picked up a couple bass and crappie too. Better to be fishing on the lake than in the garage!

Attachments

• Mantrip2017_2.jpg
    Mantrip2017_2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 669
I love pulling up to a dock in an excellent performing old rig next to a new boat that looks like it cost 20 times what mine is worth. Fix rotten wood if it has any and leave it. Just like old cars. Restored is nice but original paint no matter how beat up is hot right now. Hope it stays that way. I go out of my way to meet and admire anybody on the lake in any original old craft . New glass or tin is nice but almost every American has money or credit so no big deal.

Latest posts