Washer for Rivets?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi

I have to replace half a dozen rivets on my boat.

I have a dozen 3/16 closed rivets and I'm wondering since I have access to both sides of the hole if I should be using rivet washers?

Thanks for the advice,

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, washers are just for reinforcement of the back side of a pop-rivet
that is an oversized hole..... insurance that it won't pull out under stress.
Judgement call on your part - it won't hurt anything as long as it doesn't
interfere with the rivets holding power (length).
if the hole is still 3/16" and the rivet is 3/16", you will be fine without a washer.

surfman said:
Is that what was used before? if not then why?

Pop rivets were not use before.

I am replacing a couple of loose traditional rivets with pop rivets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivet story...

I once had a 25' Sea Ray mid cabin that they had value engineered the rub rail to attach via pop rivets. No washer. One day out in 3' seas I went below decks and my feet sloshed in water, SALT water! It seems as if the pop rivets pulled through the two layers (top and bottom halves) of glass, and the rail was sagging allowing the water to splash up into the cabin. Nuff said.

You said closed rivets, not pop rivets, but you still probably don't need them for aluminum, as said above sure can't hurt anything but, if you can access both sides why not use what was there before? Solid rivets are easy to install.

And yes if using pop rivets in something soft like fiberglass then a washer is a no brainer.

Latest posts