Weight Distribution in 14' Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I've got a 79 Alumacraft F7 V bottom, with a 9.8 Mercury, a group 24 battery, and a small Minn Kota transom mount trolling motor.

The first time I took the boat out (without the battery and trolling motor), it would scoot pretty good. 17-18 mph.

Since adding the battery and trolling motor, it's a slug, and I can barely see over the bow. The stern is only 6-8" above the water line. It will do 8-10mph now, 11 if I have a passenger sitting up front. I can tell a difference just from shifting my weight forward in the boat.

Right now I have the battery in front and to the left of the rear bench, the gas tank in the very back next to motor (3 gallon steel tank), and my seat offset to the right.

I'm thinking about moving the battery in front and to the left of the middle bench, and putting the gas tank where the battery was. I'm wondering if maybe I should put the battery up even further. With the weak fuel pump on these Mercs, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put the tank much further up than in front of the rear bench.

The boat has three full benches and a front step. I fish alone or with one passenger. We carry some gear but nothing that really amounts to much.

For those that have a similar boat, how do you have it set up?

MrGiggles said:
I've got a 79 Alumacraft F7 V bottom, with a 9.8 Mercury, a group 24 battery, and a small Minn Kota transom mount trolling motor.

The first time I took the boat out (without the battery and trolling motor), it would scoot pretty good. 17-18 mph.

Since adding the battery and trolling motor, it's a slug, and I can barely see over the bow. The stern is only 6-8" above the water line. It will do 8-10mph now, 11 if I have a passenger sitting up front. I can tell a difference just from shifting my weight forward in the boat.

Right now I have the battery in front and to the left of the rear bench, the gas tank in the very back next to motor (3 gallon steel tank), and my seat offset to the right.

I'm thinking about moving the battery in front and to the left of the middle bench, and putting the gas tank where the battery was. I'm wondering if maybe I should put the battery up even further. With the weak fuel pump on these Mercs, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put the tank much further up than in front of the rear bench.

The boat has three full benches and a front step. I fish alone or with one passenger. We carry some gear but nothing that really amounts to much.

For those that have a similar boat, how do you have it set up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 1436 jon with a 15hp. I fish with a trolling motor and battery. The battery I place as far forward and to the left as possible. The gas tank is in the back. The balance is good with one passenger. It needs a little more weight up front when I am by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking about putting the trolling motor on the bow instead, that way I don't have to run heavy wires all the way down the boat, and I can put the battery way up front out of the way.

Just not sure if the motor is long enough to reach the water line from the bow plate.

I took the battery and placed it just in front of the front step. I also mounted the trolling motor in front beside the bow plate, and flipped the head 180*. I mounted small pieces of plywood to each side of the hull to stiffen it up where the trolling motor sits.

I moved the gas tank where the battery used to be, in front and to the left of the rear bench.

If the rain quits I will try it out and see what it does.

A motor problem did cross my mind, but I haven't done much of anything to it.

Tried it out last night and I was scooting along at 15mph with a passenger.

It's amazing what only 80lbs will do when put in the right and wrong place.

Latest posts