Great underwater/saltwater "beach cam"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Fascinating. From Deerfield Beach, FL. Pretty far South on the East coast. Makes me very jealous. Click on the underwater camera. You can expand it to fill your screen. I am captivated.

richg99

https://www.deerfield-beach.com/1474/Beach-Cameras

Beautiful... nice find .... Amazing view right now... every inch of screen covered with fish.

Can anyone tell me what species the baitfish is ? I'm pretty sure I recognize most of the others... Snook... Lookdowns...sheepshead...grunts....

I think you are talking about the "look down". Not a bat fish but a jack. the silvery skinny one, correct? They are supposed to be good to eat, I think you cook them in your toaster. :)

Crap, my bad, I read it wrong, the baitfish are scaled sardines.

ok.. sardines... thanks... Those look downs are an amazing piece of evolution. They appear to have maximized their survival by getting rid of all their edible meat.... only skin and bones left.... apparently no longer worth even the calories to chew....

Yesterday evening I clicked on the link and wondered what all of the hullabaloo was about because all I saw was a black screen. Then it dawned on me that it was 11 pm and the sun long gone in Deerfield Beach. Looked this morning. Pretty cool.

Way back when I used to go to Deerfield Beach for a business meeting every September/October. Nice place with a lot of great restaurants and golf courses around the area. (I know - tough meetings).

Very clear this morning, for the first time in days... Barracuda chasing sardines....

I think it would be hard to tell. I've had it up on my screen at work almost all day, every day since you posted it. It's great therapy.... This is the first really clear day I can remember. It takes some patience to see the more interesting things like barracuda.... a few seconds every half hour or so... But early morning does seem to be the most active time for the bigger fish... It's cloudy again already.. early this morning you could see all the way out past the end...

Yeah, it is green again here.

I love when the LookDowns turn sideways and you can see their very thin bodies.

The first time I saw one, which was about 50 years ago, I was shocked. I had grown up only seeing more normal fish of the Midwest. Shiny as a mirror and thin as a pancake wasn't in my fish parlance at the time.

richg99

Thanks.

re the surgery, doing fine with the knee. I will finish PT on Monday.

I am, however, "pooped" most of the time. The time I had the other knee done, I lost enough blood to cause my Iron count to drop way off. That had the same "pooped" results.

I went for a blood test today to check my Iron levels out. Hope that is all it is.
thanks.

richg99

Good news Rich.. keep swinging..

The fishing questions that come to mind while watching that camera are pretty profound. In an environment like that how can a fish even decide what to eat ? Those larger snook patrolling right through that swarm of food all day long must never be hungry. The only way they'd ever need to pursue a meal is when it's died of old age and is floating right in front of them...

I'm sure that's the situation in a lot of lakes around me.. there is so much bait that the fish are uncatchable... the best technique might be just drifting something dead in front of their noses... Expecting them to chase a crankbait is probably too much work for them...

A story that I read, many years ago, was about the invention of the first Rapala lure.

It said..the inventor?? carved a number of balsa blanks. One was "out of kilter" in that one side was shaped differently than the other. Out of all of the new blanks, that one caught far more fish than the others.

Hence, the "Wounded Minnow" was born. It performed erratically...just like a wounded fish might.

It seems those healthy baitfish won't be chased much of the time. However, if one baitfish is damaged in some way...it is attacked quickly. richg99

Barracuda just swam by.

First one of those that I have seen close up enough to be certain it was a Barracuda.

Always changing, always interesting. I pop the site up once or twice a day just as a change of pace. Relaxing.....

richg99

It was down yesterday.. maybe too many people trying to see the eclipse...

I think it may still be ... see how it says highlights in the lower left ? it's recorded...

yep... mine too... and when it does load it shows highlights...