Rod holder where there's no space?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi

My rear casting deck is pretty close to the height of my gunwale. It's approximately 4" from the deck to the gunwale.

I tried attaching traditional Scotty rod holders from the side but there isn't enough space to put the rod in the holder without the bottom of the rod touching the casting deck.

I tried adding Scotty rod holders directly to casting deck and I had the same problem.

Another thought I had was to add the rod holders to a track that runs along the gunwale which I think was previously used for a Bimini top.

Has anyone heard of using a rod holder in a track ?

Is there enough strength in the track to manage the rod if there's a fish on?

Thanks for the advice.

c3715924f50710440bd765f0c1a7cc6a.jpg

8540d2343885ed98c5be944095e7317b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on the amount of pressure being placed on that track. A 50lb+ blue cat doubling over a heavy action bait rod might be more than it could handle, I don't think I'd trust it woith one of my setups. Free-lining baits or catching smaller fish it would likely do fine, especially if you could find a c-channel with an ID very close to the OD of that channel which you could cut short pieces, flip over and use as a washer that would make the channel's tear-out strength improve. .

All that being said, have you looked at the scotty extensions? Not sure if they make one for your particular model, but they do make some for their rod holders.

DaleH said:
Look at the Scotty 'gearhead' yaktrax accessory sockets, like below. Would be strongest without the extension ...

I was looking at that but not at the socket but at the track because it looks slightly curved. It looks like it would work perfect on my gunwale.

Any idea which track it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts