Sea Nymph identification needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgill

Reaction score
Found this one for sale, no boat data plate, it appears to be a 16 foot. Deep V?

wondering if this side console is original to the boat or an accessory that was installed with the motor? Need to determine model of this boat to determine value and price

Attachments

• IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 639
welcome aboard,

and you are asking for all this info because you found it for sale on craigslist ?

in my opinion the steering gear and motor are pre-1962. 40hp Johnson?
the Ship-Master shifter covers several years from the '50s into the '60s.
the steering console appears to be totally homemade by a very talented metalsmith?

more closeup photos of the boat as well as the ID plate off the motor will be of more help.

Vintage - I'm guessing a 70s boat, definitely early Sea Nymph

Side Console - I had an 80s 16' SN that had a side console that was positioned in the same place and somewhat similar in shape, less not as curved. That may fit as boat and car shapes started getting more angular past the 80s.

Deep-V - No way is that a deep-V. It's not even a mod-V, at least as measured at the stern. Deadrise is the angle measured at the stern and that looks flat across. Yes, it has a V-bow to knock through some chop, but a true deep-V boat she is not.

It's a boat for sale in a yard I drove by. Johnson seahorse 33 electric. No phone number of the side and I keep driving by looking for owners have a problem home yet. Trailer is in really rough shape. I was wondering if the steering console was part of the remote steering package that comes with the seanymph, or was it part of something that comes with the outboard motor. I had not considered that it was handmade. It looks very well done I'll have to go back and look more closely I suppose.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 617
I have a gifted 1966 33hp Johnson Sea Horse and it is a very simple
motor to work on. easy to maintain. as long as it has not been abused
or overheated. Look for discolored paint on the powerhead - and fresh paint
that may be an attempt to coverup a previous overheat issue.
the controls are generic with OMC products so they go with the motor.
if you change brands of motors, to a Mercury for example, you must have the appropriate
controls for that brand. the model number on the ID plate will give you the year.
motor tag.jpg

welcome aboard,

and you are asking for all this info because you found it for sale on craigslist ?

in my opinion the steering gear and motor are pre-1962. 40hp Johnson?
the Ship-Master shifter covers several years from the '50s into the '60s.
the steering console appears to be totally homemade by a very talented metalsmith?

more closeup photos of the boat as well as the ID plate off the motor will be of more help.

Hi Johnny. My name is Jim. I'm buying a very similar sea nymph next week here in northern Indiana. I went and looked at it. 16' from tip of bow to transom. 3 bench seats from front to back and a side console. This console is also fab aluminum but it's a simple box. Any idea on what year sea nymph manufactured this style boat?

To my knowledge, Sea Nymph didn't offer a 16 until 1968.
The Johnson looks '68 to me as well. The model number found on the transom clamp can dial that in for you.
The Ship Master remote control box is second generation OMC and used for many of these same years.
The steering pod will be a boat thing, not a motor thing. Looks factory to me. Many brands offered a similar accessory.
And for what it's worth, the wheel is the same that I have on a '68 Seal Craft.
Additionally, by 1972, you would find the standardized Federal HIN plate attached at the transom, so my best wager is going to be a package from 1968-1971.
Cool rig.

Last edited:

Latest posts