painting over existing paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Is there a simple way to paint over existing paint? A typical thread has a lot opinions: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/299044-basic-rustoleum-oil-based-paint-for-aluminum-boat

The factory paint on mine is in good shape but I'd like to make it white or off white down to the splash rails.

GU54HQSl.jpg

I thought I put this in the boat house.

yes, scuff it, clean it, paint it. all about the prep work, any bare aluminum spots should be primed first with a "self etching" primer

that's what i used for the 1436, i scuffed the hull inside & out, then hit bare spots w/ the rustoleum self etching primer, & then used flat rustoleum tan/green/brown for the rest

Keep us posted. I have one that I am gonna paint. I am in the process now of removing the stripes and decals which is a slow process.

one of these trigger deals that snaps on the spray paint can will be your best friend, gonna have a sore thumb/finger without one, ask me how i know haha
9275847-21.jpg

you can also etch the bare aluminum with distilled vinegar in a pinch or on the cheap instead of using the self etching primer,

once it's primted/etched, as long as the surfaces don't have any flaky paint or unetched aluminum, & are grease/oil free, the new paint from the spray can will stick just as good as factory paint or using a professional spray gun.

if you are not using a matte paint & instead using a gloss/satin type paint, then you need to scuff & clean in between coats, but that's not necessary with a flat/matte paint. scuff with fine sandpaper on a satin finish (wetsand or 0000 steel wool on a gloss finish) then clean with cheese cloth to get any dust between the coats & you'll end up with a top quality paint job

Latest posts