Double head sheet nibbler? Anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Just ran across an adv. on Facebook for this device. IF...it works as shown on the video, I'd imagine anyone who works with aluminum or sheet metal would want to have one around.

Has anyone here ever heard of it? or even owned one of them?
If so, tell us more, please.

Years ago I had a hand nibbler. It worked, but wore my hand out in no time. It also wouldn't make sharp curves as this device is supposed to do.

For $40.00, I'd put one of these in my tool box if it works as advertised.

richg99

https://www.wristandcuff.com/products/double-head-sheet-nibbler

Rich - I don't do much sheet metal work but I was in my local pawn shop
a few months ago just browsing and saw a Milwaukee nibbler for $50 on the shelf.
I looked at the date on the sticker and it was two months old.
I got them down to $20 and walked out the door with a big smile.
first of all, I smelled the motor to see if it was burned. It feels, looks and smells
like it has spent much of its life on a shelf.
I cut some .040" alum sheet and was very impressed with the speed and accuracy
of the cut. it does not distort the metal at all. I don't know the maximum thickness it will cut.
you can cut anything out of a large sheet without twisting and turning like you would with hand shears.
The one I bought is $100 at HD so $20 was a bargain !!
if you can find a decent one used that does not smell burned in the windings, snatch it up.
I think that any kind of a nibbler would be a really nice tool to add to your arsenal.
nibbler.jpg

Johnny the one you have will do an excellent job with little distortion as long as it remains sharp and you don't try to cut stuff thicker than it was designed for.

The are supposed to cut up to 18ga but that is pushing it. If you keep heavy oil on them so they don't rust and aren't apt to dull they will last a long time.

I have used the commercial version of that device back in years past. Albeit it was a single head version. I'm sure the double head version is to provide plan "B" when the head pops off the other side because it encountered 10 gauge metal instead of the 20 gauge it was designed for. Ask me how I know that. LOL.

When they are sharp they are very handy. Especially for tight locations and almost square corners.

The electric shears pictured above will last longer, provided they are not in my hands.

Rob

635bcdc2145291e15c7f6fb89b4b0787.jpg

I use this one quite a bit, found it in a pawn shop also. I think I may have given $50 - $60 for it yrs ago. I had the anvil replaced by Snap On not long ago and they did not charge me.

Similar designs, probably be good for thin sheets of aluminum and brass, but I hesitate to try it with steel.

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

My carpenters and hangers use electric shears all the time, the Milwaukee seems to be the most common. We use them a lot for cutting high impact sheetrock when we need to keep dust to a minimum (like in a hospital or clean room), otherwise we use circular saws.

I use the Milwaukee Shears that Johnny showed on 24 ga M36 steel and 24 ga copper sheets. I use cutting oil with the shears, and that seems to make them cut better. I always pull the cutter and clean it out depending on the amount of usage I have.

The little tool Rich posted looks cool, and the video shows them cutting copper pipe and the 24 ga copper sheets I cut would be simple with it. I am just not sure about the effectiveness on the M36 steel. If these show up at Home Depot or Lowe's I would give them a try just to see.

Latest posts