Studebaker No. 1 Found

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3greg

Reaction score
Over the years there have been a few threads about Studebaker and Vio Holda boats. 50s vintage boat from Kansas. Felt I had to register and tell you all a quick story.

I recently stumbled into a Studebaker - searching craigslist in the area for a 12 ft rowboat to throw into the back of my truck

Went to look at it and the wife of the owner casually throws out that it has a real strange serial number -1

Umm.... they didn't know it but the boat was sold right then before we even started negotiating price.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,677
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 1,677
Hot dayum, that is something! I wonder if there's any collector value in it?

I'd sure be searching high and low to flip it, for sure! As I once came into a WW2 vintage tin boat, complete with serial#/dataplate for the USMC. You would not believe the military collectors vying to buy it. Sold easily for 4-5X the value of the otherwise vintage (but usable) tin hull.

welcome aboard Greg !! awesome find you have there !!
I bet someone with an old restored Studebaker station wagon would LOVE to have it !!
if you ever decide to flip it (like Dale said) advertise it in the Old Car Trader in the Studebaker section.

reminds me of a 1930 Buick I restored a few years ago . . . the VIN was 30-00009. (9th one off the assembly line).
it is so unreal that you have a #1 - awesome find.

oh - make sure you don't clean that tag up too good !!!!
if it looks new - I think it will not easily pass as the original.

also - in this day and time, having ANYthing that is literally a "first issue" is a very rare find !

Won't be flipped

I have been in touch with the Studebaker Family. Grandpa (boat company founder) died a number of years back. But grandma is 94 and still living in their original house.

A few of the kids/gandkids have located some boats for themselves over the years. Offered this one to them for what I have have in it. I really feel should go back to the family.

If for some unknown reason they pass - I'm going to keep it for myself . I still need a 12footer for the back of the pick-up

j3greg said:
Won't be flipped

I have been in touch with the Studebaker Family. Grandpa (boat company founder) died a number of years back. But grandma is 94 and still living in their original house.

A few of the kids/gandkids have located some boats for themselves over the years. Offered this one to them for what I have have in it. I really feel should go back to the family.

If for some unknown reason they pass - I'm going to keep it for myself . I still need a 12footer for the back of the pick-up

That is very generous, Greg. Good for you.

j3greg said:
I have been in touch with the Studebaker Family. Offered this one to them for what I have have in it. I really feel should go back to the family.
That offer sir, is AWESOME =D> ! That was a great thought! :D

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I hope they take it! Not to deprive you of your boat, but that's just a really cool opportunity you've given them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayyyyyyy Kooooooool! Several Stude Boat threads on the Studebaker Drivers Forum. They made Marine Engines to.https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum.php

Hey Greg, thank you for appreciating something that my great grandfather built many years ago! I don't know if your still on this site but thank you! I just acquired 1 myself and am in the process of restoring it.. I am very excited!

Agreed that she should be reunited with the family (I like how you roll) but look at those lines. Do yourself a favor and photograph everything. Every detail that stands out from a design and construction perspective that the manufacturing industry got away from in order to save time and money. I bet that a lot of love went into that first run.

For the record, guys......that thread is from 2017.

Was still a good thread, though. I wonder if he ever successfully contacted the Studebaker family?

Hmmmm.....info from his profile;

j3greg​

New member · From Northern Wisconsin
Joined Aug 15, 2017
Last seen Sep 18, 2017

Roger

For the record, guys......that thread is from 2017.

Was still a good thread, though. I wonder if he ever successfully contacted the Studebaker family?

Hmmmm.....info from his profile;

j3greg​

New member · From Northern Wisconsin
Joined Aug 15, 2017
Last seen Sep 18, 2017

Roger
Yeah, this thread was from 6 years ago but I was hoping he was still on here. I would love to see what ever became of that boat!

Yeah, this thread was from 6 years ago but I was hoping he was still on here. I would love to see what ever became of that boat!
So would I. (I have initiated a conversation. Hope the board's software sends him an email notification of same.)

Roger

Latest posts