Introduction and my project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneG

Reaction score
Hey fellas, just registered to the site this week. Figured I'd do an introduction, My names Stone(yes that's a real name) and I'm from central California. I found this site last week and read around for a couple hours and learned quite a bit.

I just got a used 12' foot aluminum boat, not sure what make or model. It's gonna need some work, but I got it for free so why not fix it up. I'm a noob with boats, I've never owned one before let alone fixed one up.

Anyways I have a few questions so thanks in advance. The boat I have has no HIN and the registration numbers are sanded off. So it might be older than 73, only downside to that is I want to put an engine on it... But to do that I need to register it. I have an appointment at the dmv next week, but I'm not sure what to ask them. The friend that gave it to me said he'd give me a bill of sale, but it's pretty much gonna have no identifying numbers and I doubt the dmv would transfer it like that.

what should I ask/ or do to try to figure this out? I talked to the Highway Patrol but they just told me to go to the dmv and talk to them. Any help would be fantastic, anyways.. Here's some pictures of the project! :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

welcome aboard Stone !!

after you visit the DMV next week, you will have all the EXACT answers to your questions.
they will surely address all your concerns to get it registered.
every state is different - so just be patient with the DMV people.
they will probably give you some affidavit papers to fill out to go with the bill of sale.

good luck !

Hello and welcome StoneG. Not sure what part of central California you are from. I am from Turlock originally. I've been in the SF East Bay for the past 40 years or thereabouts.

Like Johnny said, the DMV will have the answers you need. One concern I would have is that someone may owe back registration fees. Unlike a car which can be declared non-operational and exempt from annual DMV registration fees, a boat's registration must be paid whether the boat is used or not. I could be all wet about this, but suggest you add this to the questions you have for DMV.

Did the friend that gave you the boat ever have it registered in his name? If not, does he know who last had it registered. Having that information might make things go much easier at DMV.

Good luck.

LDUBS said:
Something else just occurred to me. California does not require registration of "vessels propelled by paddles or oars". You take it from there.

I am not one for big government or government intervention but the little bits of inconsistencies in different states is maddening, especially if one moves from one state to another with a vessel or vehicle. I know State's rights and all that, Grrr...

Imagine taking a car with a less than "clear" title from one state to another? It's rather uniform, if it can be titled and registered in one state, "generally" there is no problem across the states on this issue.

I mention this because here in Florida there is no title required if the vessel never had a "motor" on it (human powered) from the date of the first sale. It's a grey area if it is powered by electric only. A vessel does not require registration or Fl numbers affixed to the hull if the vessel is either a tender to a larger boat, or it is used solely on a private lake say at a condo or farm.

I can't imagine the hassle it would be to take an untitled, unregistered boat from here to another state. Some might sell the boat, but all the work some put into a boat would be a waste. Sheesh!

PS, welcome aboard stone.

gnappi said:
LDUBS said:
Something else just occurred to me. California does not require registration of "vessels propelled by paddles or oars". You take it from there.

I am not one for big government or government intervention but the little bits of inconsistencies in different states is maddening, especially if one moves from one state to another with a vessel or vehicle. I know State's rights and all that, Grrr...

Imagine taking a car with a less than "clear" title from one state to another? It's rather uniform, if it can be titled and registered in one state, "generally" there is no problem across the states on this issue.

I mention this because here in Florida there is no title required if the vessel never had a "motor" on it (human powered) from the date of the first sale. It's a grey area if it is powered by electric only. A vessel does not require registration or Fl numbers affixed to the hull if the vessel is either a tender to a larger boat, or it is used solely on a private lake say at a condo or farm.

I can't imagine the hassle it would be to take an untitled, unregistered boat from here to another state. Some might sell the boat, but all the work some put into a boat would be a waste. Sheesh!

PS, welcome aboard stone.

Yeah, my intent wasn't to be critical of the process so much as to help the OP register his boat. California's registration requirements are fairly similar to what you describe and a process exists for registering boats brought in from other states, even unregistered boats with a bill of sale. I think as long as someone is legit, they shouldn't have too many problems registering their boat.

Latest posts