Looking for smaller thru hull for fuel vent line

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
I'm installing a built in 15 gallon tank to replace a portable 6 gallon tank. The only thru hull vents I find are 5/8". That's way to big for the small volume and consumption rate I need. I'd like to run 3/8" hose to a small thru hull but all I see are large ones. Any suggestions?

in your local Big Box Store, look in the "gas fittings" (plumbing dept.) for propane/natural gas appliances.
also in the refrigeration section - all those little brass and plastic fittings might help.
or - the basic brass air hose fitting. you can have a 1/4 or 3/8" line.
you could also pack a little stainless steel wool in the hole to keep the dirt daubers out.
or - solder the hole closed and then drill a 1/32" hole in it to vent.

gas vent.JPG

Johnny said:
in your local Big Box Store, look in the "gas fittings" (plumbing dept.) for propane/natural gas appliances.
also in the refrigeration section - all those little brass and plastic fittings might help.
or - the basic brass air hose fitting. you can have a 1/4 or 3/8" line.
you could also pack a little stainless steel wool in the hole to keep the dirt daubers out.
or - solder the hole closed and then drill a 1/32" hole in it to vent.

That's a good idea and I have that fitting from old air tools. I think the "real" thru hull gas vents have bug screens that act as a flame suppressor. Think cigarette in the wind. They also are rigged to shed water but I'm going to look for a place out of the way to just mount a small nipple like that and shove a screen in it. Home brew beats Amazon any day. Thanks for the idea!

I used the white plastic fitting to run a 3/8" clear water tube from the tell-tale
of my Johnson 25 up with the cables to exit just forward of the steering dash.
that way I could monitor the water output at all times while underway.
the only drawback on that setup was you forget about it and when you run the
motor at home in a barrel, you have to turn the ignition key from the dash.
which puts that water stream right in the middle of your chest !!!
yep - you get wet every flippin time.

25 hp johnson 003.JPG

Johnny said:
... the only drawback on that setup was you forget about it and when you run the
motor at home in a barrel, you have to turn the ignition key from the dash ... which puts that water stream right in the middle of your chest !!! yep - you get wet every flippin time.
Ohhhhh, if only that was on YouTube, if only ... =D>

Latest posts