How to Build a Level Deck for a Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbowen206

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have a 16ft. Jon boat and the floor is 52" wide. It is a mod-v style. I have very little carpentry skills and I need some help. I want to build a deck that is inch lower than the edge of the boat. The front deck that is on the boat is only about 1.5' wide (barely enough to stand on) and it is six inches higher that than the bench behind it. My question is, how do if measure to find out how high I need to raise the deck over the bench to make it about 1 inch lower than the bow edge of the boat. The front deck that is is on it is also 3" lower than the bow edge of the boat. I hope this makes sense.

welcome to our pond, Bowen

as you trudge along here on TinBoats, you will find that photos
of your concerns and issues will get you the most accurate responses.

in the top right hand corner of this forum is a "Search" box.
enter the words you need help with and you may find a project
that is very similar to what you want to do.
looking at other members projects will give you some ideas of how to do yours.

Place 2 2x4's, spaced apart the length of your new platform, spanning the gunwales (top edge) of the boat. That will establish a plane for you to measure down from. You may have to shim the rear one up to match the main plane of the keel, not sure what your boat looks like.

Good luck

You will need some straight boards to lay flat on the 1.5' front deck and have them overhang all the way to the middle bench. You can measure off of that plane down to the bench to establish how much higher your front deck is than your middle one. Then add on from there.

Latest posts