PVC flooring question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtmonkey

Reaction score
Alright so I've been rebuilding my bass tracker into a center console saltwater/flats boat. Originally my plan was to build a hybrid type boat that I can fish and hunt out of but I like duck hunting out of my kayak more so I'm leaning more towards a straight fishing boat. That being said, I'm going to stay away from the dark colors on the inside. I've been doing a lot of thinking about what to do on the floor and I've been thinking about putting down some of that pvc type sheeting that is commonly found in bathrooms and stuff. I don't want carpet and I need to use something to cover all of the seams on the back deck. It's cheap ($35 for a 4x8 sheet), non skid kinda, and seems pretty durable and resistant to water. Has anyone ever used this stuff? It almost seems perfect but I don't want to risk ruining all of this hard work without getting some opinions first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I went in lowes website and got some more info to post so everyone knows what I'm talking about. It says it won't mold, rot, or mildew and I think if I get a good sealant between it and the wood decking it should prolong the life of the wood

2b7e305dcde6605b68b97e3b8430e0b6.jpg

Sequentia panels will not mold, mildew or rot
Resistant to water and moisture
Durable and impact-resistant
Durable and cleanable
Meets USDA/FSIS requirements
Impact-resistant
Easy to install
Color-coordinated mouldings available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stuff gets extremely brittle over time. Bathroom remodels happens to be what I do. I don't want to burst your bubble but honestly I think I'd avoid it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

matt.probuilder said:
That stuff gets extremely brittle over time. Bathroom remodels happens to be what I do. I don't want to burst your bubble but honestly I think I'd avoid it.

Yea good point. I definitely don't want to put something down that is going to crack and chip when I can't get it back up to replace it again haha

I think I remember reading a member flooring a 1436 jon with this a couple years back. If I remember he glued this directly to foam---- NO plywood. Was it Onthewater102????

My boat came with a vinyl floor and I love it. I expect it is intended for boats and because of that is expensive. After reading your post, I wonder how the typical vinyl sheet goods used in baths and kitchens would work. I don't know. Might be too glossy.

LDUBS said:
My boat came with a vinyl floor and I love it. I expect it is intended for boats and because of that is expensive. After reading your post, I wonder how the typical vinyl sheet goods used in baths and kitchens would work. I don't know. Might be too glossy.

I mean If it's too glossy you could always hit it with an scotch brite pad but you'll always be left with a matte finish on it.

I used vinyl flooring from Defender Industries. I really like it, though one time I slipped a bit when it was wet. I am old and clumsy, so that contributed to the slipping. Ha Ha.

The material is similar to very heavy vinyl wallpaper. it is NOT as 3D as the picture shows, but I really like it a lot. it wasn't very expensive.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C2276179%7C2276198%7C2276202&id=23612

richg99

We Remodeled an old Post Office into a Dominoes Pizza years ago. The FPR Panels are Board of Health Approved for food service. We lined the entire interior with this Paneling. To attatch it to Drywall/Masonry it takes a Special Adhesive that contains Hexane, Highly Flammable!!!!! It's Non Pourous and very slippery when wet! The panels are easy to crack if mishandled. I dont think this would be a good floor surface in a Marine application. [-X

The marine vinyl in Rich's link looks like what I have on my boat. The pricing isn't as bad as I would have guessed.

I've had carpet in past boats. Again, I really like the vinyl. It is on the floor, seat tops, hatch covers, bulkheads, etc. I've had the boat for a little over a year. Not a long time to be sure, but so far no problems.

Well it is cheap maybe it's worth a try. I'm not sure if I would venture into that but at the same time it sometimes takes new ideas to find great ideas.

Running a 20-year old hull w/ original vinyl and after a good wetting, scrubbing and pressure washing ... it still looks great! Stands up exponentinally better in the sand & saltwater environment to boot!

Front deck, cockpit deck, rear bench seat and built-in consoles are covered.

It might work great. How thick is it? Try and get a color other than white. White decks are blinding in the sun.

There are many colors in the Defender website. As I said, it is NOT very thick. Like vinyl wallpaper. I mounted mine on a 1/4 piece of exterior plywood. PM me your mailing address and I will send yóu a scrap sample. Rich

crappie777 said:
I think I remember reading a member flooring a 1436 jon with this a couple years back. If I remember he glued this directly to foam---- NO plywood. Was it Onthewater102????

Yup - it was me. Held up fine thus-far. I have it backed with poured expanding foam and painted with Tuff Coat including an epoxy primer. By itself it is not strong enough to support a load.

I have used the same stuff (FRP) to cover plywood on my project boat. 8 years in the weather and still holding up great.

I had one section alongside the front hatch that wasn't supported by foam and I knelt down on it at some point and cracked it. Nice thing about the FRP is you can patch it with Bondo body filler polyester resin and it bonds perfectly.

After the repair I backed the FRP in this spot with some scrap aluminum sheet that I cut from the bench seat in order to make storage and haven't had issues since. I probably could have just used 2 ply of FRP set 90 degrees off from one another with polyester resin in between, but I had the aluminum scrap handy and it was about the right size.

Well I haven't made up my mind if I want to go that route or if I want to coat the wood in urethane and non skid. Anyone want to share some pics?

Latest posts