Side console to CC throttle question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtmonkey

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 2000 bass tracker and I'm also converting it to a center console like many on here have done. I've looked, searched, googled and everything else and for some reason I just can't find any info on it. Is there anyway to reuse the factory side console throttle/shifter on a center console? I've found a guy that welded a bracket to the side of the console but it looks like people are Flipping or turning them but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to get into buying a bottom mount if I don't have to. Thanks in advance

I've done it, it wasn't elegant, but it can be done given the following restriction. The control housing must be reversible, i.e., designed for use as a side control to be mounted and hooked-up for use on EITHER side of the hull - port or starboard.

Given your old layout, you had a right-side (starboard) configured control, where the handle sticks out to the left. To effectively use it on a center console, whereas we are used to running boats with controls to the right of the helm, you would mount it to the right-hand side of your new center console, but it must be wired or connected as a left-hand mounted side control unit, where the handle now sticks out to the right.

For most controls that I am aware of, mainly OMC but some Yumster experience, this simply means that the control hand mounts on the "other" side of the control. I have an old MErc side control, but haven't looked into it, to see if it could be revered. Cables are still routed the way they were for the most part, but you may need to 'flip them' if one needs to be the inner-mounted cable trunion and the other cable on the outer-mounted cable trunion, for where they connect to and are activated by the control handle.

Be aware not all side controls were designed for either left or right hand/reversible use!

If you look at the 1st tin I modified (in my signature) I converted that hull from a side console boat to be a real center console. I got lucky and the side-control was reversible. Unfortunately you cannot see this detail in the picture. But as I say, it isn't elegant, as it tends to mount the control down and off the rear side (at the corner) of the console. Where it gets really UNelegant is in the cabling, as they need to stick out in the open somewhat before they take the bend to route back in and under the console main helm, to wherever or however that they then run back to the stern/OB.

If I were you, I'd try to find a used binnacle control mount. You can also make or get faceplates to put the ignition, choke/prime, warning horn and/or ignition kill circuit hookup mounted to other places on the helm, like on the vertical bulkhead. They do not need to be run out of the control mount itself.

DaleH said:
I've done it, it wasn't elegant, but it can be done given the following restriction. The control housing must be reversible, i.e., designed for use as a side control to be mounted and hooked-up for use on EITHER side of the hull - port or starboard.

Given your old layout, you had a right-side (starboard) configured control, where the handle sticks out to the left. To effectively use it on a center console, whereas we are used to running boats with controls to the right of the helm, you would mount it to the right-hand side of your new center console, but it must be wired or connected as a left-hand mounted side control unit, where the handle now sticks out to the right.

For most controls that I am aware of, mainly OMC but some Yumster experience, this simply means that the control hand mounts on the "other" side of the control. I have an old MErc side control, but haven't looked into it, to see if it could be revered. Cables are still routed the way they were for the most part, but you may need to 'flip them' if one needs to be the inner-mounted cable trunion and the other cable on the outer-mounted cable trunion, for where they connect to and are activated by the control handle.

Be aware not all side controls were designed for either left or right hand/reversible use!

If you look at the 1st tin I modified (in my signature) I converted that hull from a side console boat to be a real center console. I got lucky and the side-control was reversible. Unfortunately you cannot see this detail in the picture. But as I say, it isn't elegant, as it tends to mount the control down and off the rear side (at the corner) of the console. Where it gets really UNelegant is in the cabling, as they need to stick out in the open somewhat before they take the bend to route back in and under the console main helm, to wherever or however that they then run back to the stern/OB.

If I were you, I'd try to find a used binnacle control mount. You can also make or get faceplates to put the ignition, choke/prime, warning horn and/or ignition kill circuit hookup mounted to other places on the helm, like on the vertical bulkhead. They do not need to be run out of the control mount itself.

Thanks a lot Dale! The control has a button to put it into neutral unlike others that you pull the whole handle outwards. That is what has mainly got me. Here are a couple pics that I took when I took the boat apart

Attachments

• IMG_6887.JPG
    IMG_6887.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,456
  • IMG_6874.JPG
    IMG_6874.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,456
Best option is to ID that control and see if you can locate a free PDF manual of it at home.

Looks very Merc or QuickSilver to me, similar to my old side one, so I will check to see if I ever had a manual for it.

DaleH said:
Best option is to ID that control and see if you can locate a free PDF manual of it at home.

Looks very Merc or QuickSilver to me, similar to my old side one, so I will check to see if I ever had a manual for it.

Yea it is a mercury control. I still need to pull it off of the side panel it was screwed to so I can clean it up and see what I can do with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like it would totally work if mounted on the LEFT side of the console, even mount it flush. Rotate the housing a little to make fwd/rev to where you're comfortable and above all neutral where it feels 2nd nature. Check if your cable is long enough. I have had throttle controls on the left side, an adjustment period for sure,(for me my left arm is the dumb one) but you'll get used to it.

ProduceMan said:
Looks like it would totally work if mounted on the LEFT side of the console, even mount it flush. Rotate the housing a little to make fwd/rev to where you're comfortable and above all neutral where it feels 2nd nature. Check if your cable is long enough. I have had throttle controls on the left side, an adjustment period for sure,(for me my left arm is the dumb one) but you'll get used to it.

I have definitely put a lot of thought into it, I hate to put a ton of time and money in building a nice console and half a$$ it just because I'm cheap and don't want to buy a used control. I'll mock it up and see if it's something I can live with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poormans Boatright said:
Heres what i did.
That's exactly what I did too in my posts above, when I converted a side-console boat to become a center-console boat.

But as I cautioned, using the old control only works if configurable to be run from either side, as some aren't.

If'n you can get used to it, flush mounted left side will give a cleaner look and the throttle will be tight to the console. Hardly anything to bump into walking by, allowing for a wider console if that's what want. If you don't like it, hey you've got a nice hole for a speaker! Your cable run will be inside the console to the deck. Use 2" gray electrical conduit routed down and thru the center of the deck for the cables and another for the wiring if needed. Out of sight, out of the way.
I had a 'glass Invader 16 Fisherman (Whaler clone) for 8 years that had left side controls, now it feels awkward driving other boats with R/H controls. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

ProduceMan said:
If'n you can get used to it, flush mounted left side will give a cleaner look and the throttle will be tight to the console. Hardly anything to bump into walking by, allowing for a wider console if that's what want. If you don't like it, hey you've got a nice hole for a speaker! Your cable run will be inside the console to the deck. Use 2" gray electrical conduit routed down and thru the center of the deck for the cables and another for the wiring if needed. Out of sight, out of the way.
I had a 'glass Invader 16 Fisherman (Whaler clone) for 8 years that had left side controls, now it feels awkward driving other boats with R/H controls. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

That being said, my other issue is the conduit routing. Being that it's in a basstracker, I don't have much room for conduit under the floor because unless I raise the floor Ill have to cut my cross members in the hull to pass it thru. I'm really trying to avoid doing that because I don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the boat but I also don't want to have cables across my floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given those constraints, get a new or used BINNACLE mount control.Your cables will go down through the console (out of sight and out of UV exposure) into the bilge, along or between your cross-hull bulkhead to get to the starboard gunnel, then routed as normal back to the motor.

Be sure to add a conduit run for electrical & harness, or route the control cables w/ the harness. Tie in a permanent "pull" (coiled stiff mono, etc.) for future electrical additions. See here for more:
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36661&hilit=Coil

Latest posts