Repair holes from transducer screws

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK

Reaction score
I'm changing out the transom transducer and want to install a polymer mounting plate over the old screw holes and mount the new one to it. I'm afraid if I just refill with new screws and silicone it will make the plate bulge. What's the best substance to fill those holes? (only can reach them from the outside)
I was going to just screw the plate to the transom but is epoxy better? I'm afraid with epoxy that I'll never be able to remove the plate if I need to.
Thanks for any help.

Had same situation on an old tin boat I once owned. I sanded area, vinegar washed, primed it then filled holses with JB epoxy. Starboard pieces, one 3/4" thick (outside) and 1/4" (inside) sandwiched the relair arwa and 2 SS bolts secured the piece to the hull.

Gooped w/ BoatLife polysuflide 'LifeCaulk' (roughen up inside surfaces), could use 3M 5200. You can buy cheap UHMW cutting board at dollar store and make it work too. My repair was certainly overkill, but no other owner will EVER have to worry about it again!

3M 5200 dries rigid, and trust me-from experience-the stuff has to be either scraped heavily or sanded off. It's not coming out on it's own. The other option is to hire a welder to put a button weld over each hole. Wouldn't be more than $10-$20 most likely, maybe less if you prep it yourself.

Thanks, my neighbor has a welder so I''l see if he does aluminum.

Quick and dirty would be to rivet the holes with closed end aluminum rivets. They protrude far less than a screw head, and if you are going to cover over anyway you are GTG. That's what I'd do given the holes are both below the waterline and near the motor: IMO rivets are a more solid and vibration resistant alternative to JBWeld or Marine Tex (both of which I also use in other applications).

Or put a solid rivet in with a little 5200 around it for a belt & suspenders approach.

You're setting it in a flat piece of sheet that is heavily braced by both the transom support and proximity to the corner at the base of the transom - vibration and flex shouldn't be an issue in this area.

If you are gluing polymer; Corion; or anything similar to a hull, undercutting a few spots on the back side with a dovetail bit can give your "stickum" a really good hold.

https://smile.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-D14-55-Dovetail/dp/B000K2DQ7W/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1505512636&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=dovetail+bit

31w%2BLHLwZyL._SX425_.jpg

Latest posts