Repurposing old props?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Puttering around i have come across some aluminum props i have pulled off old 9.9 and 15 hp OMC motors. These have been dinged up and one of them has a 3/4 inch long chunk taken out of one blade. Sure would be nice to get these back into action. I guess the options are DIY or take them somewhere to be rejuvenated. Is prefer DIY by grinding the blades down, but can see that i might not do a perfect job. But maybe its good enough. How should i be looking at this?

Well, after doing a bit of web research I have figured out the following:

1) A lot of work is involved - much more than filing the prop down and rattle canning it. Lots of youtube videos on the topic.
2) A local repair shop told me (non-binding quote over the phone) that it would take about $60.00 to fix, and that is not including a new rubber hub. I'd also have to carry it over there (about 50 miles each way, 2 round trips)
3) A new prop is in the range of $75.

So Option 3 is the "no-brainer" alternative.

And the old ones will be retained on board as spares, JIC.

FWIW up here in the northeast you can drop off props at your local boat stores, as the local prop shops go around once a week and pick up props for repairs. Can save you some driving - if a boat shop that participates is close to you of course - and it doesn't cost you anymore $$.

Agree that unless you have a pricey prop to begin with, a new prop is the better route. But the idea of using an old for a spare is noted.

TIP - I only use crocus cloth on a hardwood backer to dress nicks out of prop blades, as was told by a prop shop pro to never use a file on a blade, as it can spoil a future weld repair if/when needed (it can imbed steel filings into the material), but maybe that applies to big V6 SS props ...

When my folks installed a new Maxprop on their sailboat, I took the 20" three blade bronze propellor that it replaced and polished it into a wall decoration. But maybe that's not the "repurposing" you meant :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you could do something "artsy-fartsy" with them. I don't have any kind of crafty skill, but people on Pinterest seem to re-purpose just about everything. Might make a good man-cave or shop decoration with them.

I mangled up the prop on my 25hp Merc. I can usually run 25mph in that boat.Had it out one day and the zinc trim tab came loose and made contact with the prop. The sound it was making had me thinking I blew something in the motor. Suddenly it smoothed back out and I made a run back up the river but kept the speed down between 17 and 20 mph still thinking something might be wrong. Didn't notice until I had it in the driveway that I bent up the prop pretty good. Even all tore up, the prop still did pretty good getting me back to the ramp that day. My new prop comes tomorrow but I will keep the messed up one as a back up!! I'm amazed that I was still able to get that kind of speed with the prop bent and missing a few bits of metal.

I guess if I had a dinged up prop, and I thought about using it as a spare...I'd be concerned that the "old" prop would be off-kilter enough so that I had to worry about ruining some bearings or even bending my shaft.

Sure, for a putt-putt home in an emergency, it would be OK. But, I think I'd have to get the broken one fixed before I'd take my boat out again.

richg99 said:
I guess if I had a dinged up prop, and I thought about using it as a spare...I'd be concerned that the "old" prop would be off-kilter enough so that I had to worry about ruining some bearings or even bending my shaft.

Sure, for a putt-putt home in an emergency, it would be OK. But, I think I'd have to get the broken one fixed before I'd take my boat out again.

I didn't consider that Rich. Good point! I just put the new one on yesterday but didn't get a chance to run it. Shoulder is still a little sore from the surgery and I didn't think I trust myself to not make too many casts. :LOL2:
How is the knee Rich?

edwonbass said:
I didn't consider that Rich. Good point! I just put the new one on yesterday but didn't get a chance to run it. Shoulder is still a little sore from the surgery and I didn't think I trust myself to not make too many casts. :LOL2:
How is the knee Rich?

"Just one more cast" -- we have all been there. :LOL2:

Hope you guys are experiencing a speedy recovery.

Latest posts