An odd question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveLiberty

Reaction score
I posted a picture of my build in progress on Facebook this weekend, and my dad jokingly replied, "Not too late to add a coffee pot". While I know that's a bit ridiculous and the post was in jest (A good thermos will easily keep coffee all day), I'll admit that it did make me think about how handy an onboard coffee pot would be to a fishing vessel. I can think of little that would enhance an early morning fall outing than fresh Java.

Has anyone ever considered adding adding a brewing device on the boat? At a minimum, I thought about picking up one of these 12 volt brewers that I can plug in on camping trips. :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-RPSC-784-12-Volt-Coffee-Carafe/dp/B00446YIYK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505147019&sr=8-3&keywords=12-volt+coffee+maker

Not an odd question, but 12V coffee pots aren't worth it, they pull serious amps and take a long time to make 'warm' mediocre coffee.

You have 2 options, boil hot water via a simple single-burner gas camp stove and (1) get a pour-thru 'French press' type drip coffee maker. Or (2) get a 2-piece Italian-style coffee maker; coffee in bottom pot w/ grounds above, 'empty' pot above. Each pot has a handle. Pour in water to the line on bottom unit, add coffee & spin on cover, then place empty pot on top. Bring to boil & percolate, then invert when done & it drips through.

To my taste, that Italian style 2-piece 'expresso'-style of coffee maker makes the most consistent and reliably delicious coffee, as I have made gallons of it on the boats I could live aboard.

Admittedly the height of the 2-piece unit, along with the gas fuel stove, can be a serious safety concern on any vessel, but those 2-piece, flip to use, coffee makers as linked to makes some seriously good coffee! The link posted also has larger styles!

Yummy - just might have to get me a bigger one! As I even take it Winter camping with me, even at my primitive deer camps during flintlock season (everything pre-1800 design, nothing modern allowed).

TIP - If/when you use a thermos, just pre-heat your thermos overnight by pouring hot water into it.

Link = https://www.espressozone.com/ilsa-classica-neapolitan-coffee-maker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_JG499Cd1gIVy7bACh0q3wXjEAQYAyABEgLjGPD_BwE

No doubt, I'll stick with my Thermos that is at least 40 years old and keeps coffee well into the afternoon easily. I just wondered if any of the brilliant engineering minds from this site have done anything on their builds.

DiveLiberty said:
I just wondered if any of the brilliant engineering minds from this site have done anything on their builds.
Someone here made and installed a nuclear powered coffee maker on his tinny and showed it to us. Made coffee in seconds ... but for some unknown reason he doesn't post anymore and isn't answering his PMs ...

We use a SOTO stove to boil a cup of water then use Starbucks instant coffee packs. It's not like other instant coffee and is better than what I drink at home. MSR and Sno-Peak also make tiny backpack stoves but SOTO is probable the best. Screw the stove on the butane and go. Heat the water in a stainless mug and make the coffee in a double layer insulated steel coffee mug so it stays hot and cups don't break. I have all the best expedition gear like a Partner Steel stove but must say the little SOTO is all I use when I need a single burner. There is also a Coffee filter thingy and French press contraptions for back packers if you want to be fancy. Nothing like a good cup of morning joe especially when you are outdoors!
https://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/index.html#stoves

Coleman has a full sized stove top drip maker that is pretty good at making a pseudo-full sized pot of coffee. It is a little slower than your pot at home but works the same way. All you need is a flat topped camping stove. You could even wire the coffee maker to the stove grate to make sure it didn't shift unexpectedly. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffeemaker/dp/B001K7IDVU/
Or this one that only needs a green propane bottle https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020942-QuikPot-Propane-Coffeemaker/dp/B004E4IAEQ/ref=pd_sim_468_24?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y99RCZ5WPFFVG28GNGAV/
I believe both are available with a stainless steel carafe.

Dive Liberty, DaleH is right about the 12v versions, they are power hogs and don't work very well. All electric coffee makers are very power hungry. We found out just how hungry during the power outage after Irma. When I turned ours on it darn near stalled a 2000 watt generator.

The backpacking methods are good too but you only get one cup at a time. Still, they are convenient. JetBoil makes a set that combines a stove, large insulated mug, and coffee press very compactly. I bought a used set and it has lasted over 8 years. There is even a gimbal attachment you can buy or interweb instructions on how to easily make your own. https://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-Zip-Cooking-System-Black/dp/B004UVPDUM/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1507028733&sr=1-4&keywords=jetboil
I understand your need for a good supply of coffee on the water. I am a multi-pot a day drinker myself and now you have me thinking, Hmmmm.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm addicted to coffee...

I was just saying this weekend how my boat needs a coffee pot!
Woo hoo ... just won this 18-ounce "Flip-Drip" coffee maker for $26 shipped. So simple to use ... put bottom pot on burner, fill to line with water, add coffee to the insert (perforated cover screws off), drop insert into bottom pot ... place top pot on top - upside-down. Bring water to boil. 'Flip' top and bottom pots using the handles (carefully) ... and let the boiling water drip through the grinds.

FWIW there's about 6 or more on eBay right now for $10 or so, but most of those are the smaller 12-ounce pots.

Attachments

• Flip-Drip Coffee Maker.jpg
    Flip-Drip Coffee Maker.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 939
Nothing like fresh coffee, which I perk while out camping/fishing. However Yeti makes some pretty awesome thermoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts