Need to mount a new fuse block to...something

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcamera

Reaction score
42-year-old aluminum Starcraft. My new 12-circuit blade fuse block with integrated negative bus arrives in the mail today and I'm so stoked to finally clean up the wiring mess. Currently there's a small glass fuse panel with a spaghetti wad of wires, doubled-up negative connections, etc.

My first challenge, though, will be to mount the new fuse block onto something under the dash. It's much bigger than the existing fuse block & neg. bus, which are attached to what looks like a short piece of white plastic or plexiglass. I'd rather not drill/screw/rivet into any aluminum under the dash. Thinking of gluing a piece of wood or something under there, possibly to the inside of the hull and mounting the fuse block onto that.

Any suggestions for a mounting solution?

Wood works, as would a block of LDPE or HDPE, think 'cheap' dollar store cutting board material.

Me? I but a square or rectangular 'tupperware' type box w/ snap-on lid. I drill holes in one side (low) for positive leads and holes on the other side for negative leads, IF your block is separated pos/neg from left to right.

I put rubber grommets in the holes. A cheap DIY version is to wrap e-tape around the lead where it goes through the box wall and center the tape. Works ...

Keeps everything tidy and somewhat weather proof!

Interesting idea. Then I assume you mount the fuse block through the bottom of the Tupperware box? And pop the top off when you need access? Cool.

Well, the new fuse block has an insulating/protective cover on it, so I don't have a need for that function, but I like the idea of the clean look of the box & lid.

Here's the block that did arrive yesterday: https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-5026-ST-Blade-Fuse-Block-with-12-Circuits_p_1615.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwd7G6Obb1gIVCyaGCh3pkgxEEAQYASABEgKc8fD_BwE

It's a bit of overkill: I'll never have a need for 12 circuits on my little boat. But, whatever. Go big!

I use Tupperware/Rubbermade containers for USB-rechargeable power packs, and run a wire out of a hole to power cameras for long outdoor timelapses. Weatherproof and good for staying organized.

Latest posts