Attaching (or not) front and rear deck to boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hc803

Reaction score
I keep looking at threads where people have made great decks for the front and rear portions of their boats but I'd like to know how best to go about attaching these decks to the boat itself. I know screwing directly into the seats on the front is an option, but I'd like to play around with the possibility of keeping mine removable. Is putting in a wooden "stop" against the middle seat enough to hold it in place? On the rear decks, how do you support the deck against the transom? I was thinking of screwing braces into the transom wood, but would like to hear other suggestions if you've done something different.

This is on a 1232 Monark (yes, I know it's not big/weight issues/etc.).

I had a small deck on the front of a 1436 Monarch. I would suggest with a boat like you have that you stick with a flush deck if you want to deck it. You should also have good balance! You can make one that sits on the gunnels and is held in place with C clamps.

Waterproof, very strong, removable. $12.99 at Home Depot

loctitespecialtyusea.jpg

Ive never made a hole in any part of my boat. You can bond screw strips anywhere and then mechanically fasten if you want. I use PVC boards and strips for any need (such as Azek). Cut Down Azek panels can be laminated with plumbing solvent and primer (requires clamping), no rot, not too slippery, floats, easy to clean, walkable with 12" on center supports, and doesn't need paint. Sets up in less than 2 hours - permanent in 24 hours - can cut off years later.

I've used PL years to mount transducers, deck platforms, all kinds of hardware. if you press parts together without clamping, it is still very strong, but can be cut off with a long razor knife blade. Enables you to bond parts on, and then remove and reposition as you find the perfect set up (like finding the best transducer position).

Also works better than rubber washer seals to seal hulls and transoms around bolts.

Latest posts