Remove Carpet from Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
I have new carpet on aluminum deck. Going to modify a hatch and need to get the carpet and glue off to do some welding. What's the best way to get the hatch clean?

I removed the carpet from an Jon that sat in someone's drive way for a few years, the carpet pulled right up and I used a whole bottle of krud cutter, scraping with a putty knife before giving up and grabbing a sander with 100 grit...Alumacraft 'Crapie Jon' w/ a flat interior floor.

jtf - are you going to remove the hatch cover ?
or just clean and weld in place.
photos of your project would be helpful.
if it is WeldWood Contact Cement, a heat source and scrapers would be my choice.
if it is the general purpose carpet cement, hot boiling water or steam from a wall-paper
steamer may work.
latex based products don't like hot water or steam and tend to turn to mush.

Going to clean the entire hatch top, 36" X 16", pulled carpet, loaded with oven cleaner. That helped get the carpet fuzz off but not the glue. I'm on the way to town to get Super Remover or Clean Solve for the glue.

Had to get the rivets exposed to take off the cover. Going to put in reinforced expanded metal insert for venting, about 20" x 6".

I know I'm a little late since you have got the carpet off now but here goes. I'm working on a old tracker that had carpet. The hatch doors were aluminum, now mind you this carpet was in very bad shape. I was able to pull what was left off. There was a lot of the rubberized backing and glue still on it though. I used a wire brush cup wheel and if came off relatively easy, down to bright shiney aluminum.

Bearclaw said:
I know I'm a little late since you have got the carpet off now but here goes. I'm working on a old tracker that had carpet. The hatch doors were aluminum, now mind you this carpet was in very bad shape. I was able to pull what was left off. There was a lot of the rubberized backing and glue still on it though. I used a wire brush cup wheel and if came off relatively easy, down to bright shiney aluminum.

Is the shiney aluminum the finish you what or are you doing something else?

I was just getting all the old glue and rubber from the carpet off,with the wire brush/ wheel it took the glue and carpet off down to the bare shined aluminum. I was not trying to get it shined,just down to the bare metal

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43983

Some pics, the carpet glue stripper worked great following instructions. Hope to have vented hatch back on Monday for installation. The hatch required sanding after stripping, but not much to brighten it. Going back with paint.

I recently acquired a Seaark 1997 mcbass 170. It had carpet in the rear only and I simply removed the carpet and scraped the heavy areas with a wide blade metal scraper. I then applied GOOF OFF Adhesive remover over a 2' x2' area, then covered in plastic. After 30 minutes I removed the plastic and used the metal scraper and it came off like hot butter. I tried to do too much on the first pass so I need to go back a do smaller areas. USE Plastic gloves... Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20171031_173955.jpg
    20171031_173955.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 20171029_100818.jpg
    20171029_100818.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,158
Actually this is two hours work. Impressed on my first pass. 20 year old carpet does not hurt either.

Latest posts