She started right up....almost.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Since my charming bride of only 57 years decided last Spring that she no longer cared to drive while pulling a boat on our trips.....
her decision forced me to buy yet another boat to keep in Texas.

I bought a 2007 Lowe-1756 with a 50 hp 2009 2 cycle Mercury. I went on a sea trial in July; hauled it back home; and haven't started the engine since then.
(after a knee operation, we returned to TN and just got back to TX Friday.)

Before I left, I drained the gas tank completely but didn't do anything else. I had read someplace that when an engine has the oil gravity fed, you don't run the fuel out of the carburetor, as I did on my older 2 cycle Johnson. I have no idea if that advice was correct or not.

Filled her up with non-ethanol gas today. Tried starting and nothing popped.

Oh, yes....you are supposed to PUMP the BULB first! After pumping, and tilting the engine way back, as Pappy told me to do on my Johnson..the "new" Merc fired up and ran well.

That means I can take her salt-water fishing later this week! Yippee!

This old fart is a happy guy.

Nice! I’m sure you had a profound reluctance to buy another boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I’m sure you had a profound reluctance to buy another boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I’m sure you had a profound reluctance to buy another boat..

Well, I certainly did. This was #31 in the fleet that I started acquiring around 55 years ago. Of course, that is counting kayaks and sailboats.

Nope, not a tiller. I certainly considered a tiller, but this deal came up with a side-console. My G3-1652 (now in TN permanently) is a side-console and I kind of like it.

I do stand up when running at very slow speeds. Kind of a CC with a SC.

My old back will probably be happier without twisting all day.

Nice.

But...how is the recovery from surgery going? I hope you are doing well.

and, truly, congratulations on a long and happy marriage.

Thank you.

Surgery was an outstanding success. If any of you need to have a new knee, try to find a doctor who does the "Quad sparing technique".

3 days after the surgery, I was able to discard the walker. 7 days later, I was able to throw the cane away. 21 days after surgery, I was fully discharged by my doctor...with the exception of completing the 6 weeks of physical therapy.

My pain was far less than anyone else who I spoke to who did the.. "slice the quadriceps down the middle".... style of knee replacement procedure.

This was the second knee by the same doctor..Rick Nixon (yes, that is correct).
Dr. Nixon was the Orthopaedic doctor for many of the original Houston Oilers.

There are other doctors around the country who use this procedure. I suggest you seek them out and talk to them before committing to the older procedure.

Thanks for asking.

Latest posts