Rich Line Challenger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasthree

Reaction score
Hello members. I did a thread in the motor section for questions on a Merc 200. Here are some pics with the boat, motor and trailer that just followed me home yesterday. The boat is I believe a 1966 Rich Line Challenger. It hasn't been registered since 2000. The motor is a 1967 Mercury 200 20hp. The trailer is unknown. Had to take the fenders off it to use my wheels and tires. The original ones were dinky and they were flat. The boat is solid with no patches or dents to speak of. It's tarnished and has rust stains from use of non stainless hardware. It has water stains on the inside. Drain plug was out but must have been plugged up and the boat filled up with water in the past. Somebody replaced the transom wood but didn't coat it and didn't use stainless hardware. It's still solid but I'll redo it correctly(someday). Havn't tried starting the motor. It shifts and turns over. I think with some TLC it should fire right up. The trailer is in really good shape. Towed it over a 100mi and the bearings didn't get warm. The orange color showing is primer under the black paint coming off. So the trailer needs new tires, painted and rewired. Boat came with two sets of seats and a old Minn Kota 555 foot controlled trolling motor which I don't know if it works yet.It also has forward and aft anchormates and a homemade stainless rod holder.IMG_4628.JPGIMG_4629.JPGIMG_4630.JPGIMG_4632.JPG

Yeah you did alright! A little elbow grease and a box of worms is all you’re gonna need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it's lines and the shape of the back it will be fun working on it.

Weldorthemagnificent. I think I'll grab some grub,drinks,rods, the wife and the dog also. :) In case any body wants to know. It's 14'3" long including the 3/4" transom wood. The widest part on the transom at about the water line is about 53" and I think about 18" gunnels. The thing of it is I only just started having thoughts about getting something a little over a week ago. This thing just caught my eye and couldn't pass up the package deal of $200 for it. :D. I just wish I had the time and energy to fix her up right away. I think she will be a sweet little ride.

I was going to print out myself a copy of a old add and just relized it may be a Model 15 instead. I over looked that model because I thought it would be 15' but it's listed as only 14'2". The beam is wider on the 15 so those measurements fit mine better. Its a little bigger than the Challenger. Now the tag I found makes more sense.

Congrats. Looks like you got yourself a nice boat and a heck of a deal. I like the spray rail (or whatever you call it) along the side of the hull. Should move along smartly with the 20 HP.

What kind of axle/suspension is used on the trailer (if you don't mind my asking)? Looks different but can't really see from the photos.

LDUBS. I don't know what style you call it. It's a leaf spring pac running from one side to the other with pivots on each the end of each side. The pac is attached to the frame in the center at the top of the arch. Then there are some bars, which I forget what they are called(torsion bars?), Attached to each side on the front of the axle that extend forward and attached to the center of the frame . They would keep the axle square with the frame. You can see the one on the right side that crosses over the house steps in the background. Posted some pics of it. If you know what style/manufacture please do post. I'd like to know. You can also see where somebody installed what I think are truck running boards as a walkway. They also put a platform to stand on towards the back of the frame.IMG_4617.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4618.JPG
    IMG_4618.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,488
Tasthree, I didn't mean for you to go to that much trouble, but thanks for the photos. I don't know the mfg or the name.

Reason I asked is that years ago I had a Glaspar on a trailer that used coil springs and a similar set of what you refer to as torque rods to hold the axle. I thought maybe yours was the same. On that trailer, the "torque rods" or control rods, or whatever they are called were of relatively light bar stock. Eventually one broke. Rather than repair I ended up tossing the entire axle/suspension assembly and replacing with a new axle and leaf springs.

I'm far from an expert but these systems seem very complicated compared to a simple set of leaf springs, shackles and u-bolts. I wonder why they were used back in the day.

PS: The catwalk is interesting. I can see where that might be useful.

Nice set up. That's pretty much identical to my boat. These Rich Lines are very stable boats. I'd love to have a 20 or 25 hours motor on mine.

Just a quick update. I've got the transom redone and the boat cleaned up with the rust stains gone. Cleaned the trailer and painted it, rewired it including new lights, new winch cable, new skids on the bunks, new tires and wheels. Had to tear apart the lower unit to put in all new seals, a new bearing, and inpeller in. rebuilt the carb and pump including a new fuel line. New condensers and set the points. Rigged it up on a stand in a water tub. After about a handfull of pulls it fired right up. Idles good ,shifts good and good water flow out the pisser. I'm a happy camper and can hardly believe how well it runs after sitting for who knows how long. The boats last registration ran out in 2000. Now to get the boat rigged up, the numbers and sticker and it will be ready to hit the water.

RStewart. Is yours a M15 or a Challenger? What motor are you running on yours and how does it do? One reason I got this besides the price was that in the ad picture it looked pretty wide which I hope will be really stable. I haven't owned a boat for well over 25yrs. I'm really looking forward to getting this on the water.

tasthree said:
RStewart. Is yours a M15 or a Challenger? What motor are you running on yours and how does it do? One reason I got this besides the price was that in the ad picture it looked pretty wide which I hope will be really stable. I haven't owned a boat for well over 25yrs. I'm really looking forward to getting this on the water.

Honestly i have no idea what model mine is but i believe it's the challenger. I have a 9.9 on mine & it does ok. The boat is wide & stable. I don't think i could flip it in the water, it would lean & i would fall in first. It does rock a bit but it's no problem to fish two people standing up in it.

Finishing this thread up on a good note. Finished the boat and except for the reg numbers it's ready for next spring. I even installed some red led night lights on it. I think it all turned out well and I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water. Another vintage Tin Boat, motor and trailer refurbished and ready for service.IMG_3864.JPGIMG_3858.JPGIMG_3857.JPGIMG_3861.JPGIMG_3859.JPGIMG_3849.JPG

RStewart. Here is the basic diff between a Challenger and a M15. Challenger center length is 14', beam 60", max depth 21, transom width 52", Gauge aluminum .067, weight 200lbs. M15 center length is 14'2",beam 62, max depth 23, transom width 52", gauge aluminum .063, weight 205lbs. Both have a max of 40Hp. Their ad says wide transom for twin motors. I bet they would fly with 40HP on them. Don't know why they made one or the other because they are so close in size.

I had some left over Advantech from a project so I used it. Sanded it down good, primered it with some oil based outdoor primer and then some Rustoleum marine paint. I used all stainless fasteners unlike the previous person who did the transom. It should last a good long time.

Latest posts