Replacing Cracked Ribs with Flat Bar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachw

Reaction score
Possible? bad idea?

I have a riveted boat with a slightly rounded hull where these ribs are attached. The ribs have cracked in a few places and need replacing.

Possible to remove, replace with some wide (4"?) 1/8" flat bar and bolt or rivet back up? Any reason why I should have new ribs fabricated vs just bend some bar? Because of the rounded hull I think having custom ribs fabricated will be more trouble than it's worth.

Here you go.

Looking from the side:
IMG_1261.JPG

Zoomed in on cracks in the middle:
IMG_1262.JPG

I think I'd split some round to go over the round section and butt some flat stock against the sides. Then I'd weld it in place.

eshaw said:
I think I'd split some round to go over the round section and butt some flat stock against the sides. Then I'd weld it in place.

This hull is super thin and flexes a lot. I'm afraid to weld anything to either the existing rib or the hull itself. But making that piece and riveting it might work. Still, if I could get away with flat bar for another year before this hull bites the dust I would do it.

I would not remove the existing rib. Maybe you can reinforce just that section by riveting in a short piece of hat or furring channel over the existing rib. Since you plan on scrapping the boat, do the bare minimum.

I can see the temptation to use flat bar but you have cracked structural metal that needs welding. Mark every crack in the hull and have a welder fix it all up. 50-60 bucks? You will get all that money back and more when you sell a "good" boat down the road vs a beat one with an ugly fix.

Thanks for the replies. This is helpful. I don't any issues with getting it welded up. In fact, I think that's probably the easiest method. But I've read so many posts on here with folks recommending replacing cracked ribs, not welding, because the metal near the welds in these thin ribs just tends to crack again.

For some reason I had come to the conclusion you were going to junk the hull. If not, then I still would not remove the existing rib. I agree with Stump -- weld & reinforce.

LDUBS said:
For some reason I had come to the conclusion you were going to junk the hull. If not, then I still would not remove the existing rib. I agree with Stump -- weld & reinforce.

This would be easy enough. Fix busted and leaking rivets. Weld rib together. Scab in some reinforcement.

Latest posts