Veterans Day - 2017

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that there are almost 100 restaurants that are having Veteran's Day free meals this year. This includes many large chains (Chili's, IHOP, TGI Fridays, Applebees, Dennys, Red Lobster, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, & the list goes on).

General George Patten performed his desert training in Patten Valley California. It is known as the sand toy capital of the world and is called Glamis. It's hundreds of miles of huge sand dunes and bowls that are perfect to play on with dirt bikes, quads SXS and sand rails. Patton had fuel tanks droped by air planes to refuel his tanks and some are found out in the middle of this sand desert. They are a gathering place and a flag pole has been installed on them. Every Veterans Day we go to the main one and they hold a ceremony to replace the year old flag. It gets bigger every year and this year we got a fly over! Only way to get there is by a vehicle with sand paddle tires and there are over 1000 that show up so it's an amazing spectacle. California has its problems and I despise its politics but after traveling to 48 states and quite a few countries I have to admit that California is the best place on the planet for almost everthing. You can google Patten's desert maneuvers training grounds if your a buff and fast sand rails if you want to see why we go 11 times a year. If your young then cut your loses and do what has been said for over a century. "Move west young man move west." You won't be sorry. The people, places and things in Cali are all the best of the best and that's tough to say being a white God faring right wing consevative.

This is where we play. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2J8dtE9mlBg

good post Stump !! the fly over must have been awesome to be very unexpected !!

Back when I was making signs, the US Army contacted me about making them a
special plaque for their retiring general ...... this was a top secret unit that used the
desert for their training grounds getting ready for General Norman Schwarzkopf's
invasion of Kuwait and other desert countries we have been at war with.
I would like to think that "Stormin Norman" got the plaque, but, they never revealed the recipient.
the plaque is hand carved basswood with 23k gold leaf and 24 inches tall.
very fitting design for the "Desert Rats" that fought for us in the wars past.

ALLONS.jpg

I had the same feeling of having a good feeling about helping even though all was secrete. I created the baddest engine ever for Rokon two wheel drive motorcycles. They came with a Kohler 6 hp and I worked up an engine combo with Burris Racing to install 12.5hp Yamaha 200cc engines in them. The bikes are called trail breakers because you don't need a trail. It will pull you up creek banks and thru thickets on a mountain. A got a few calls during the Aphganistan war for motors. The military used them and I know they would have been perfect on trails up in those mountains. The calls were extreamly basic and they would not talk. What octane? What oil? Will you take a US postal service money order and ship to a PO box? I said yes, they hung up and money orders were mailed to me with a PO Box. I was told that's how special ops buy and like I said I herd from my sources in the Rokon community including the factory that yes the military has bought them. I like to think the engine powered some groups up to those rat infested caves. The bike and motor would do it better than anything else but I'll never know what they used them for. As far as I'm concerned they used them and I'm sure Norman loves your work every time he looks at it!

I had a customer come in with a boat that needed minor repair on Saturday 11/11/17. It was an easy fix on a livewell pump, so I took care of it while he waited. Soon as we were done and tested the pump, I had noticed that he had a vietnam war veteran tag on his car and shook his hand & thanked him for his service. Guy broke down in tears. Said he never had anyone thank him before, considering the controversial nature of the Vietnam conflict. I found that interesting.

Todd - not everyone got a warm welcome from Viet Nam.
I remember being hit with a rock when I was 20 years old in New York
and a few months later, I was catching a Greyhound Bus in Jacksonville, FL
to go home and someone spit on me through the open window from the street.
a lot of veterans never got over the hard times that still haunt them to this day.

here near Orlando, Florida on Veterans Day last week, a car had gotten stuck in a ditch and
this US Army Veteran had stopped to help with his truck to pull him out of the ditch
and the young crackhead punk in the STOLEN car shot and killed the Veteran that had stopped
to help him . . . . the Veterans truck was found later that night torched and burned in a drug heavy neighborhood
to destroy evidence . . . and that crackhead punk is still in the wind.
very very sad to hear this on the news every day......... https://www.clickorlando.com/news/man-fatally-shot-while-helping-stranger-in-deltona-deputies-say
our world is not a safe place anymore.

Latest posts