Gas tank under console size question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtmonkey

Reaction score
Alright so I'm converting my basstracker to a center console flats boat. I'm moving all of he weight (gas tank and batteries) up front. The gas tank will be under the console to offset the batteries and livewell. I'm trying to keep the console as small as possible but I have to build it around the gas tank. With my boat only having a 25hp motor, I don't need a tank as big as the factory one because I end up leaving gas in it for a period of time. Does anyone have any recommendations for a tank that is more on the tall side rather than wide or long? Do you think a 6gallon would be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a 4 stroke a 6 gallon tank will last a decent amount of running time. 2 stroke if you are running fairly hard you better always keep a gallon can in the boat full of mix because you will be surprised just how quick a 25 will go through 6 gallons.

nccatfisher said:
If you have a 4 stroke a 6 gallon tank will last a decent amount of running time. 2 stroke if you are running fairly hard you better always keep a gallon can in the boat full of mix because you will be surprised just how quick a 25 will go through 6 gallons.

Yea it's a 2000 mercury 2 stroke. I don't usually fish that far from the ramp anyways because our grass flats are right next to it. I have a feeling once I put a new e-tec on it I'll go a good bit further tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 6 gallon with my old 35hp 2 stroke. I never got close to running out if I filled up before I launched the boat. Though I never went super far away it always got the job done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You could build a really nice console around one of these - https://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/6-gallon-6bow-portable-fuel-tank-fits-inflatable-boats-620040lp/

Johnny said:
the steel vintage 6 gallon tanks are 18" long, 11.5" wide and 11" tall.
not sure of the 3 gallon size.

The 3 gallon steel OMC tanks of that vintage have the same footprint, they are just lower in height.

I'm an OMC guy and love them for their functionality, way more dependable than the after market plastic tanks.

The rule of thumb on fuel consumption for a 2 stroke OB is a 10hp motor will use 1 gallon of fuel per hour at WOT. A 20hp motor will use 2 gallons per hour at WOT. A 30hp motor will use 3 gallons per hour a WOT.

Latest posts