Silicone bead suitable for aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of an aluminum friendly silicone (or other such substance) that I can use to smooth over the edge of some aluminum patches I have installed on a boat seat?

The PO of this boat cut a bunch of crazy holes in the seats, and I have patched them by cutting sheet aluminum to fit then riveting the pieces in place. The problem is I am left with sharp edges on the patches which could potentially cut a hand (such as of a grandchild) or a loose line (less important), etc. I'd like to make the surfaces smooth and safe as possible.

I think just running a bead along the edge of the patch will do, then just paint to match.

The problem I have is identifying which product to use that won't cause a chemical reaction in the aluminum and leave me worse off than before I did the patches.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

check with your local auto supply dealer such as NAPA
for a product called Seam Seal (or sealer). it is a caulk-like material
that car makers use to seal seams as well as make make
the smooth transition between metals. comes in different colors.
I can get a photo tomorrow of where I used it on my van
in a few spots to do just what you are asking.

seam seal.png

other options would include priming and painting the area first,
then apply a sealant such as 3M-5200 or silicone or construction adhesive.
priming first with a good aluminum primer and paint is the secret to preventing corrosion.

5200 will adhere to bare aluminum. So will almost any epoxy product, but epoxy has to be painted to protect it from UV.

Be sure to clean the aluminum with sand paper or a stainless brush followed by a wipe down with acetone prior to any coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaFaring said:
5200 will adhere to bare aluminum.
So will "Quikrete polyurethane non-sag sealant" ... best part, it is sold in gray color and only costs $5.25 a tube!

It is paintable, sandable and remains permanently elastic. I used this to trim out a finish bead on my tin skiff when I put in new transom skins (tin) and core. Works great and the price can't be beat!

DO NOT use silicone with acid curing agents on tin boats!

Loctite PL Marine Fast Cure is my favorite.
I use it to fasten all accessories to my tin so I don't have to drill holes.
Waterproof
UV resistant
Great bond
Can be cut and scraped off
<$13.00 at Home Depot for 10oz in caulking gun tube
plmrn.png

Latest posts