Question for Dale H re bilge pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
For some reason, I can't find my own (old) post on this topic.

I believe that you recommended a particular brand and model number of a bilge pump some time ago. Something that you used often in your fleet.

If I am correct, please let me know the name of it. I followed your suggestion and bought one, but.... it is in TN. in my other tinny right now.

I can't find it on my list of purchases at Amazon, so I may have bought it somewhere else.

thanks, Rich

richg99 said:
I believe that you recommended a particular brand and model number of a bilge pump some time ago. Something that you used often in your fleet.
Johnson Pump, also sold under the Marpac name. FWIW www.surplusunlimited.com sells the Marpacs for a great price, fully automatic (no moving parts). FAST shipping and good prices on a lot of boating stuff.

Reliable? How about 14-years out of a wash down/live well (dual use) Johnson pump ... and only the sensor went bad! The pump itself was still good!

I used to replace Rule after Rule after some Attwood pumps on the fleet of skiffs I service and I have YET to ever replace a Johnson/Marpac pump after the initial replacement to those brands. How's that for a testimonial?

Yep. Marpac was the name. Thanks.

Next question...I've been reading about guys adding a "High water warning" device to their boats, so they know when an issue is getting out of hand.

Any suggestions?

Or, another guy had his system set up so that he could see a light on his dash whenever the bilge went on. I can see how I could hook that up with a non-automatic pump, but not sure if I could do it with an automatic pump.

I have a ???? name pump on the new-to-me tinny now. Works fine but is totally manual. My options are to add a float switch, or replace the pump entirely. If I add a float switch, I could easily add a light on the dash, or even a buzzer.

Any thoughts appreciated, as always.

Diggin up this old thread...

I have a 14' Lund tinny and am looking for a good bilge pump. In reading through a bunch of threads, I think I have settled on this one.

Capture.PNG

@DaleH

Would this be a proper pump for my boat? Is there a better one you would recommend? I am thinking keeping it simple. Alligator clips on the pump wiring. The boat lives on the trailer, so I figure auto pumping isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks!

Johnson pumps are indeed the best, but you can also buy them under the ‘Marpac’ brand name, especially those that have the built-in non-moving electrical field switch that senses water.

I won’t use anything else!

IMHO You don’t need 1000 GPH pump for that size boat, just get a 600 GPH one like this one which is what I use, only $60 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3346728420...NBIboWS6n1zJ/Unm3Q9hQDIA==|tkp:Bk9SR9ilhMCjYg
A696AD17-90A4-4F87-ACAC-3AD6E5B35BEA.jpeg

Johnson pumps are indeed the best, but you can also buy them under the ‘Marpac’ brand name, especially those that have the built-in non-moving electrical field switch that senses water.

I won’t use anything else!

IMHO You don’t need 1000 GPH pump for that size boat, just get a 600 GPH one like this one which is what I use, only $60 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3346728420...NBIboWS6n1zJ/Unm3Q9hQDIA==|tkp:Bk9SR9ilhMCjYg
View attachment 115484
Thank you Dale!