I'm in Awe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott F

Reaction score
I recently signed up for TinBoats just after I ordered my new tin boat. Since then, I've been viewing the forums and have been amazed at the number of people who have taken an older boat, stripped it down to bare metal and totally rebuilt it into a like new fishing machine. I feel like such a slacker after seeing the amount of time and effort put into these rebuilds. I feel a little guilty about taking the shortcut of paying a pro build my boat. I did however do some of the easy work like mounting the bow mounted trolling motor, adding a couple of depth finders, adding an onboard charger and applying a couple of decals.
While I have neither the skill or the energy to attempt a project like those detailed, on these forums, I have to say how much I admire those who have. There is a part of me though that thinks you guys are crazy for even attempting to pull off the jobs you do.
I may have missed it but I was wondering if any of you, after your rebuilds are done, are sorry you did it or wish you'd have done things a lot differently.

I feel like I’m in the same boat as you. (Pun intended) my boat is fairly new compared to most and doesn’t require a full rebuild. I am building a casting deck and redoing some parts. Anyway if I’m not happy with the way it turns out or I want more I’ll just rebuild it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No project is never really done, is it?
I have built and re-built (rebuilding now) my boat twice in less than 3 years. You're right, when things are done you often do wish you had done it differently. Fortunately I like making things unique to my needs and doing it myself. Whereas I believe even a pro built custom boat can't easily be changed. Mine is ever-changing, and that's what keeps it personal for me.

Yea, I'm here as an observer as well.
Good winter time activity, especially.
I enjoy reading about the builds and seeing the results.
I don't have a nice new boat, just a used tin in decent shape.

I have never done a total overhaul like some have, but the modifications I have done to mine are exactly what I wanted and are made to be removable if I ever decided to change something. No regrets on the time and effort I put into modifying a 1654 FB Tracker GRIZZLY to get it the way I wanted it, and am happy with the results.

LDUBS said:
I'm waiting for someone to show me how to stretch my boat to make it 3 feet longer. :LOL2:

I've got a stretcher I have been dying to try out. :mrgreen:

There are some nice builds for sure. I keep my build updated to changes I have made since the initial build.
There are a couple of things I would have done a little different.
1) made the command center below the side rail so I could run a track the length of the boat and mount rod holders.
2) installed Bose outdoor speakers instead of Boss speakers, plus an amp and another set of speakers in the back end.

Way back when I worked (around 50/60 hours a week), I didn't have time to tinker with my boat. I might add a rod holder or something quick like that, but mostly, if I had any extra time, I'd be out fishing.

Even though I am now retired, I still wouldn't take on some of the major reconstruction projects that some guys do so well on this site. Takes time; space, and desire.

Lots of talented guys here.

richg99 said:
Way back when I worked (around 50/60 hours a week), I didn't have time to tinker with my boat. I might add a rod holder or something quick like that, but mostly, if I had any extra time, I'd be out fishing.

Even though I am now retired, I still wouldn't take on some of the major reconstruction projects that some guys do so well on this site. Takes time; space, and desire.

+1 :)

i seriously toyed with the idea of doing another build when mine floated away,but after adding up all the costs from my last build for my ins. company,it just made sense to buy one already done.i was into my lost boat for almost 20 k with all my fishing gear and equipment added in so i ordered the alumacraft.

I would say it took me a lot more time to try and figure out how to do what I wanted to do than it actually took to do it!
Heck, I was a steelworker but was thinking I should have been a design engineer when trying to figure out ways to fabricate mods. to be removable and have maximum strength! :lol:

Would I do it again, maybe. Being retired I have more time than money.

My 1981 Lund Pike pike came out beautifully. The saga is chronicled on this site.

I would of loved to buy a new boat, the price tag was out of my reach.

With a restore/rebuilt boat I came out with pretty close to new boat for less than half the cost of new.

It took a lot longer than I expected and planned for. The cost came out to about 1/3 more than my initial mental estimates.

There were more than 450 stainless fasteners (screws& bolts) and some were near a 1000 hrs of time spread over a year and a half.

It need to be a labor of love and patients. The trailer is still a work in process.

Good one BillPF

One reason why I refurbish/work on my boats....

I like to do it.

It's just fun making or fixing something to work the way YOU want it to.

Many times, I mess up and have to re-do something because I didn't think of how it would be used, or how I would have best liked it. That's OK because the second iteration is always better.

(kind of my like my golf mulligans)

Latest posts