Help with capacity of an older flat bottom boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntfish

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and the proud owner of a 1975 jon boat. That's about all I know about it. It is missing the original HIN but it has one issued by the state of WV. It is also missing the capacity plate. On the title it just says 12 ft jon boat so I am guessing the previous owner didn't know the make either when he got it titled. It does have one tag on the bow but don't know what it means...here are some pics....any information about make or capacity is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20171218_194808.jpg
    20171218_194808.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 821
  • 20171218_194729.jpg
    20171218_194729.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 821
I agree that a 7.5 or so would be plenty for a 12' boat. I have a 9.9 on a 1436 and that's plenty.

Are you asking about horsepower capacity/rating or the capacity in weight/passengers/gear?

In either case, for a ball-park guesstimate, I'd look through a number of boat manufacturer's websites (Lowe; Alumacraft: G3; Tracker, etc.) and find similar boats in the same length, width, height, riveted or welded; and thickness of aluminum.... and see what they are rated for...both HP and weight of passengers and gear.

Whether your boat is Tiller Steered (probably) or Remote Steered can make a major difference. i.e. My 1756VT Lowe is 50 h.p. tiller, and 80 h.p. remote!

I appreciate all the replies...I will check some the boat companies for a close match to see what they list for both HP and passenger/gear capacity. I will also try the formula posted earlier as well to see what I can come up with.

Huntfish said:
I appreciate all the replies...I will check some the boat companies for a close match to see what they list for both HP and passenger/gear capacity. I will also try the formula posted earlier as well to see what I can come up with.

Maybe the spreadsheet screencap I posted below will help you?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44158

Huntfish said:
Thank you, that does help. Much quicker than looking each one up.

When I was looking for a boat that had the specs closest to what I wanted, I spent a whole night poring over jon boat sites and the rest of the web looking for new and even old data. Unfortunately some of the really cool old boats I could buy down here there were no specs on so I made the spreadsheet and wound up with new instead of vintage.

Latest posts