Star Board for decking material?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spdbump

Reaction score
Hi,
Been lurking and drooling over some of the projects on here for a bit. Finally getting a trailer for my 1983 '12 Gregor, so I can start to mod it. Thinking of a small casting deck in the front and rear, need to keep the middle seat for the kids for the moment.
Has anyone used this for decking material?
King StarBoard® HDPE Marine Building Material
If so what thickness? Was it easy to work with? Glue or Screw ?
Thanks
Spdbump

I've not used Star Board for decking but have used it for other projects. I would be concerned with weight, cost, and how slippery it would be as decking, though I understand textured HDPE sheeting is available. Additionally, it is a poor surface for gluing, so plan on using mechanical fasteners.

Again, I personally have not used it for decking, so who knows -- maybe someone else has with good results.

:WELCOME:

I saw a 3ft x 3ft x 3/4" piece of star board in my local Big Box Store and I was very surprised at how heavy it was.
there is no way I would recommend that material for flooring or large projects on a small boat.
on the subject of "slippery" - - - remember that you will have small kids in the boat with you.
on a 12ft boat, 1/2" plywood of the proper rating and preservation with a non-skid surface will serve you best (and safely).
if you loose your footing, slip and fall overboard, you could capsize the boat getting back in or on your way out.
if you are new to the boating world, you need to brush up on your survival skills. Like what to do in an emergency.
even 10 feet from shore and less than 6 feet of water could present a very serious situation very quickly.
also - consider the physics of your boat and keep your center-of-balance as low as possible when building a deck or floor
that you will be standing on.

photos of your concerns and projects will help the gallery help you.

use the "search" feature in the upper right corner of this page to assist in your questions.
there are literally hundreds of good builds on 12ft boats that you can get ideas from.
tite lines and safe boating !!!

gnappi said:
... weight, cost and it is slippery.
And adding to that ... it really MOVES with temperature swings ... so fastener holes need to be drill a good 1/16" or larger over-size, or it buckles or break the supporting structure.

It certainly has its uses, for rod and gear holders and the like ... but as a floor, which is a structural component? Not ...

When I grow old I'm going to skip the convelecent home and buy a bass boat. I'll get way more mods for sitting, standing and for being an uncoordinated fat slob than any rest home could provide. A casting deck? If you can't stand up and cast while negotiating regular Gregor seats and flooring then take up a sport in between fishing trips that has you balancing simple things like a bicycle. Can you bounce a basket ball? Can you walk off of a sidewalk? We as Americans have gotten way too soft and part of the fun of boating and fishing is keeping agile, strong and able to walk on slipey docks, banks, ramps, rocks and rocking boats. Fat *** lazy beer drinking slobs invented casting decks and all the other bass bling that folks think they need. Good greif the only thing worse are those plastic bubble boats filled with vynil couches. I mean is it really that hard to stand on regular flat bottom or v bottom boat seats to cast a line? I never thought so and think it's part of the fun.

Stumpalump said:
When I grow old I'm going to skip the convelecent home and buy a bass boat. I'll get way more mods for sitting, standing and for being an uncoordinated fat slob than any rest home could provide. A casting deck? If you can't stand up and cast while negotiating regular Gregor seats and flooring then take up a sport in between fishing trips that has you balancing simple things like a bicycle. Can you bounce a basket ball? Can you walk off of a sidewalk? We as Americans have gotten way too soft and part of the fun of boating and fishing is keeping agile, strong and able to walk on slipey docks, banks, ramps, rocks and rocking boats. Fat *** lazy beer drinking slobs invented casting decks and all the other bass bling that folks think they need. Good greif the only thing worse are those plastic bubble boats filled with vynil couches. I mean is it really that hard to stand on regular flat bottom or v bottom boat seats to cast a line? I never thought so and think it's part of the fun.

Stump, I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think! :LOL2: :LOL2:

LDUBS said:
Stumpalump said:

Stump, I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think! :LOL2: :LOL2:
Wait until my holiday depression rears it's ugly head. :mrgreen:

Starboard is great for many applications, but decking is not one of them. It's dangerously slick, even when dry, and no paint or none skid material will stick to it. If you are going to have kids on the boat, you are looking at a potential disaster. use marine grade plywood or aluminum for your decking. There are some very good non-skid materials on the market and they are very easy for a DIYer to apply.
Trust me on this one. I've been in the marine industry for many years and have used a lot of Starboard.

Thanks for the replies and input, just trying to gather some ideas.
The other reason I'm looking at decking is for storage so there isn't a bunch of gear rolling around to slip on. Also there is no floor in the boat, just the bare aluminum ribs . Not really thinking about a floor because I want to keep the overall weight down. Also thinking of going the vinyl route vs carpet any input on materials?
As far as being agile goes I'm still playing goalie on and over 40 men's soccer team and I hump beer and kegs every day for work so I am not "A Fat *** Lazy Beer Drinking Slob" but they do contribute to my paycheck and help fund projects like this.

Speedbump, I've had carpet in the past and have vinyl in my current boat. I've had the boat for just under two years so can't give you a long term review, but I do take the boat out almost weekly and so far so good. I like the vinyl a lot. It is easy to wash and so far looks neat and clean. Mine came with the boat so I can't tell you about the brand or installation. I would imagine the installation would be fairly routine.

Mine looks like the photo below (from Cabelas):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 2.04.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 2.04.41 PM.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 1,114

Latest posts