New member looking for ideas for an 11ft tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob9863

Reaction score
New member but long time addict of buying old boats to fix up, expensive hobby but it keeps me out of trouble.

I've got a fondness for small boats and just bought another 11ft tinny that I want to turn into a usefull little unit for fishing and duck shooting.
I loved my last 11ft tinny and cought some good fish and some big fish in it, I could take it into tighter spots then I could my bigger boats.
I foolishly sold it when I moved states, then again I foolishly sold my 1st project a little 12ft punt that I loved.

But I want to go a combination on this boat, my current thinking is to fit to it 4 rod holders mounted to the front and rear bench seats, storage bins in the bench seats, a clean and paint in OD green, forward storage like a mini casting deck extending from the front bench seat to the anchor well.
I was tossing up either extending it back to the middle bench seat, increasing covered storage. The downside to that is its an 12ft tinny, trying to stand at the best of times is tricky, standing on a casting deck will be way to top heavy.
Or posibly removing the middle bench seat all together, now that has its own problems, it will cost rigidity and increase the flex, but the purpose of this bost is cart it on the tub of the ute so no trailer rego and by keeping the motor to under 5hp or 4kw I'm avoiding boat rego too.
I think at the speeds a 2-4.5hp motor will push it that the flex wont be a problem.
But I'm still looking at options and I'm open to ideas.

I have been looking at buying a punt as well, but I can take this to the lakes and bays along the coast too, and a punt gets to be a little uncomfortable there and clearance from the water makes getting swamped a potential problem.

So I'm after some ideas of what I might be able to do, and giving some examples of what I'm able to fabricate at home.

15140841389460.jpg

15140842001101.jpg

15140844802040.jpg

15140846216071.jpg

15140847461692.jpg

And a little clip of fishing out of it.
https://youtu.be/1N-yBhtUKMI

Sounds like you have lots of experience with these small boats. In my experience, any floor, deck, storage compartments etc.. adds weight. If you only fish by yourself that can be an asset. If you fish with a friend, it can be detrimental.
I recently picked up what I thought was a 12’ boat but measures 11’4” if you’re generous with the tape! No tag but I can’t imagine capacity being much more than 500 lbs. me at 215, my fishing buddy at 235...doesn’t leave a lot of room for a motor, fuel, safety gear, tackle, rods... just a thought. Be looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats why was thinking about removing the center seat, more space and less weight.
But the cost to the rigidity might be too high.
Although I prefer bench seatsto swivel in a Tinny, they are better kept simple IMO.
But I find it good to bounce some ideas around, then work out what you want and how to proceed.
Mesure twice, cut once.

Well I've had a play with it and dug myself another hole at the same time.
I was looking for engines online but the only motors locally had boats attached to them.
I went to take a look at two anyway, the 1st one had a crap trailer, no rego but the 10ft tinny was in pretty good condition and most importantly the motor was an immaculate 2007 Suzuki 6hp 4 stroke.
It was at a holiday park and they only used it 2-3 times a year and the motor was stored inside.
They were asking $1750 for it, the lowest they would go was $1400.
I was giving it a lot of thought but went to look at the other one anyway.
Well the boat had been painted in house paint, it was caked in black mildew and the paint was fluffy and falling off.
The trailer was much better and registered, even better it was solid and roadworthy.
But the motor was a 1997 8hp Evinrude 2 stroke, I've had two in past and they are an awesome engine, it also had a small electric motor.
But the Evinrude had done no work and had a full service history up until 5 years ago which was when it was put in the shed, we mixed up some fuel, primed it and it actually started 1st pull and purred like a kitten.
It was the most clean and neat motor I've ever seen for its age, it was better then most I've seen half its age.
I picked all that up for $900, and thats a bargain.

But now I've got two boats to fix up :oops:

Although, 15min with a pressure washer and it looked 10X better, give it at clean with the paint wheel tomorrow, a prime and top coat and it will be good to move on, and gained some value.
I'm putting the 2.3hp Evinrude that came with my boat, the old electric motor and a cheap spare battery I've got sitting around to power it.
Tomorrow I will plug up some holes and paint it, then it should be ready to sell off, I'm hoping to get around $850 for it, that will mean I got that great engine for only $50.

I've decided what I'm doing with the good boat now anyway, I'm putting a small front storage bin/casting deck up the front and not touching the back anymore.
The middle bench seat is staying in and rather then etch prime and two pack paint it, I'm going to do it in truck bed liner, that will give it some grip and long lasting protection.

But heres the two boats as they will stay other then the work I've already mentioned.

15147197621210.jpg

15147198351191.jpg

15147199050492.jpg

15147199793573.jpg

15147200288624.jpg

15147201014745.jpg

Looks like your "fleet" is growing. Ha Ha

Just being inquisitive (nosy) here...the large numbers on your boats make me wonder if you are some place other than the States. WC130??

We have numerous members here from Canada and I don't know where else. Just wondering....
rich

Theres a lot if ideas here, expecially with hunting boats that are completely different to what we see in Australia.
Then again hunting boats are fairly uncommon here in general and fishing boats a for the majority a v hull with at most a floor, casting platform and maybe a well and thats it.
I like to try out different things and and different tactics, its funny how we do things different, but they can work just as well in different countries.

I've fitted a Blueline Hydrofoil to the motor and I've been putting the shine back into the aluminum, its actually looking so good I'm not sure if I will even bother to paint it now.
I also took it out for a test run, and it rides like a dream and has plenty of speed, mire then I need anyway.

15149783360881.jpg

15149782191470.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TTAtCwW0LWA

It's coming together nicely, definitely buffing up well.

Now I'm looking at putting some storage bins into the middle bench seat, something with cup holders and a glove box to keep my wallet and phone in.

But its going to look new and shiny at any rate.

15150371140400.jpg

Also take a look at tacklewebs.com. I like their stuff because it isn't going to break is I bump against it, etc. I installed their cup holders in my boat. They have several other storage configs.

They look alright, although that one in the photo actually has a compartment in the seat itself, you twist the ring in the center and it opens the lid and you have a glove box.
It's handy to store your wallet, keys and smokes etc in. They stay dry and fall overboard.

"It's handy to store your wallet, keys and smokes etc in"

For that very purpose, I added a plastic shoe box under my side-console. I have to reach up and under to get to it, but anything that has to stay safe and dry.... will stay safe and dry.

Bob9863 said:
They look alright, although that one in the photo actually has a compartment in the seat itself, you twist the ring in the center and it opens the lid and you have a glove box.
It's handy to store your wallet, keys and smokes etc in. They stay dry and fall overboard.

Ah, even though you said it before, I didn't realize it opened like a glove box. That is nice. I figure if I go in I'm taking the wallet and keys with me!

LDUBS said:
Bob9863 said:

Ah, even though you said it before, I didn't realize it opened like a glove box. That is nice. I figure if I go in I'm taking the wallet and keys with me!

I did when I lived in darwin, then if you fell in they new they caught the right Croc when they cut it open and found your license :lol:
But protecting your smokes, well thats critical.

Latest posts