Maximum Outboard Setback

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessed

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to Tin Boats and have been following and learning from the forums and would appreciate your advice. Am putting an Alweld 1648 VV LA 21” transom with a 25 Hp Mercury 2 stoke long shaft remote steer. Have purchase a Vance 4” setbackbac manual jack Plate and would like to use this with my Neptune trim and tilt. This would result in a total setback of 11”. Will this be too much?
Thanks so much

I'm no expert on setbacks, but I don't think 11" is too much at all. Some larger boats have 3' setbacks.

I think you'll need to adjust your engine up 1/2" for every 1 foot set back, if memory serves me right. The jack plate will do this for you, I suppose.

Thanks Crazyboat. I appreciate your response. Seems very wise and logical. Think I’m going forward. Want to get the boat ready for Spring which will be soon here in SC. My Mother-in-Law has a place on Lake Greenwood. This 16’ Boat should be perfect. I have been following the Tin Boats forums since June 2017 and love them.

I have a Tracker 1648 and a 6" setback was like adding 50 pounds (about 20-25% of the motor weight) to the stern. I took it off. When you shift that weight back it changes the center of gravity and the boat significantly squats deeper in the rear.

I would assume 11" is twice that. You may want to put it on and put the boat in the water to see before committing too much to it.

chuck99z28 said:
I have a Tracker 1648 and a 6" setback was like adding 50 pounds (about 20-25% of the motor weight) to the stern. I took it off. When you shift that weight back it changes the center of gravity and the boat significantly squats deeper in the rear.

I would assume 11" is twice that. You may want to put it on and put the boat in the water to see before committing too much to it.
Very good point I did not consider.

I live in an area where jack plates and setbacks are pretty common. I've never even seen an eleven-inch setback.

Biggest I ever had (150 hp 2-cycle on a 20 ft Fiberglass boat) was 6 inches.

After doing a little research, they certainly are made. All of the way up to 13 inches. Not on my boat, though.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-marine-atlas-series-hydraulic-jacking-plates-79351.html

I see the monster setback plates on the big bass boats up here in NE Tx all the time. Most run 10-12". That being said, I agree with the concern about hanging the weight that far back on a transom that might not be able to handle it. Leverage principle. The farther back you move it, the more stress it will put on the transom. And if you're running a long shaft motor on a short transom boat, then you'll likely end up with the plate maxed out, which adds a little more stress.

If it will handle the weight though, it will make that boat feel like it's 2' longer.

If you are getting some setback with the T&T, can you just build up the transom height to where you need it without adding even more setback?

Thanks all for your replies. Shows your knowledge and interest. I have already purchase the jack Plate and everything to mount it for over $300. I already had the trim and tilt from another Boat. At my age I would have difficulty raising the motor but could try. Was going to drill the holes and mout everything myself but need to get some professional help. This is a long transom Boat so the jack plate is just for tuning. Again thanks. I’ll keep posting and try to send some pictures as this progresses.

Latest posts