Opinions on an Alweld that popped up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
From another thread on 12 vs 14, I indicated I am more inclined to a traditional semi v as opposed to a jon. However, I came across one that piqued my interest. It is prolly 45 min. away, so I don't want to drive out just for s&g's. The boat is only a few year old 1448MV mod v with an 1987 9.9 Honda recently tuned with an ignition upgrade, a couple of small trollers, and 3/4" decking(kinda heavy).
Curious as to opinions on the boat as well as the price. $2000. More than I was looking to spend, but it seemed like a lot of boat for the money. Gotta think if I didn't like it that I could easily get my monet back.
I only have a 4 banger Tacoma with a bumper hitch, and the owner said it should pull as smooth as glass. What say you?

787sKH2.jpg

O1AqgQ2.jpg

You could tow that with a civic. Be a good solid boat and those motors hold a decent value so you could always upgrade later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best friend has a 1999 4x4 Tacoma 4cyl and pulls a 18ft cc tracker for about the last 15yrs. The boat is worth the 2k in my opinion.

Is that a long shaft motor on a short transom boat, or is that just perspective?

BTW, the specs of your bumper hitch are likely imprinted on the bumper, somewhere near the hitch.

The decking doesn't look like it's been done very well. Almost looks like it's slanted in the front like a ramp. That can be renovated with minimal expense though.

As said, that's a solid boat and motor. Will not be super fast with a 9.9. Best I ever got out of my 1448 with a 9.8 Merc was 18 mph lightly loaded. The trailer looks nice too. With the axle mounted that far back it should be a piece of cake to back down the ramp.

I tow a 1448 Alumacraft and a 25 Johnson, (~800lbs in current trim) with a 4 cylinder 2wd Ford Ranger. Pulls like it's not even back there, have never spun a tire on a ramp. That boat will be no problem at all with a Tacoma.

I wouldn't consider 2000 to be a smoking deal but not unfair either. 15-1800 would be the sweet spot IMO.

MrGiggles said:
The decking doesn't look like it's been done very well. Almost looks like it's slanted in the front like a ramp. That can be renovated with minimal expense though.

As said, that's a solid boat and motor. Will not be super fast with a 9.9. Best I ever got out of my 1448 with a 9.8 Merc was 18 mph lightly loaded. The trailer looks nice too. With the axle mounted that far back it should be a piece of cake to back down the ramp.

I tow a 1448 Alumacraft and a 25 Johnson, (~800lbs in current trim) with a 4 cylinder 2wd Ford Ranger. Pulls like it's not even back there, have never spun a tire on a ramp. That boat will be no problem at all with a Tacoma.

I wouldn't consider 2000 to be a smoking deal but not unfair either. 15-1800 would be the sweet spot IMO.

I agree would place the value at closer to 12-1500, IMO, assuming all the paperwork (title, registration, etc. is all in order). The motor is a bit undersized and mismatched on the shaft length, and its 30 years old, and the boat itself needs some rework on the floor. No telling what the trailer needs.

As far as towing though: piece of cake with your Tacoma.

Well, thanks for all of the comments and help. Like I said, I wasn't keen on a jon, and I think have found my new ride if the Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise(although they have risen a lot around here the past two days). Have spoken with owner and got all of the details. As soon as the snow is off the roads and the cold snap ends, I am making a road trip(north of Pittsburgh). Looks like a jack stand will be my first purchase. Includes trolling motor, fish finder, nets, oars, life jackets, live well.

ZUhLd9n.jpg

CnTew7c.jpg

ztDzW62.jpg

3Cv5Mmp.jpg

I don't know if its just to photo but that trailer screams potential problems to me, it just looks badly maintained.to me, get some new bearings in it quick smart and havexa good look for rust.
One thing people always forget about with boats is the trailer, it doesn't matter how good a boat is on the water if you can't get it there.
I do prefer the 1st boat myself, not at that price and I would be moving on the motor and getting something bigger with a short shaft. I'd also redo the floor but on something like that its easy to do.
The 2nd one, well and this is just me, anyone who drills a hull to mount a transducer is an idiot, weld or braze a bit of square aluminum tube or similar to mount it to or at yhe keast use super tough epoxy like glass bedfing compond to mount it to clean metal.
But the moment you drill under the water line your causing future problems.
Thats my opinion, others might differ, but I've had to patch too many holes on boats I've bought because some numpty took a drill to the hull.

Trailer looks to be very serviceable and has had bearing buddies recently installed. Current owner stated it trailers very easily. Why do you think the hull has been drilled for the transducer? The wire is coming over the transom and not through the hull. An elderly gentleman(like me :lol:) owns it and it seems to have been well cared for.
BTW, I don't understand why there has been a couple of comments on the Alweld having the incorrect shaft length on the Motor. Could it be the camera angle or is it certain that this is a long shaft on a 15" transom? I dunno. Really is moot now, anyway.

The 1st photo doesn't appear to have any cap on it at all, the second one has what looks like a bew one, the tyres look onld and like its been sitting a while.
The transducer is sitting flush against the transom but I can't see the holes close enough, but the mound on the left definitely has visible rivets or bolts holding it on.

Thats by no means a deal breaker, its just IMO the worst way to mount anything to a hull.
It probably won't effect you unless you mount something different in the future.

WV1951 said:
Well, thanks for all of the comments and help. Like I said, I wasn't keen on a jon, and I think have found my new ride if the Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise(although they have risen a lot around here the past two days). Have spoken with owner and got all of the details. As soon as the snow is off the roads and the cold snap ends, I am making a road trip. Looks like a jack stand will be my first purchase.

ZUhLd9n.jpg

CnTew7c.jpg

ztDzW62.jpg

3Cv5Mmp.jpg

From a functionality standpoint those two will not be much different, aside from the much higher freeboard of the nymph. It will have a drier ride and less chance of swamping.

Both have a very flat dead rise and will pound in rough water, the upside to that being higher stability.

Unless the nymph is dirt cheap, the Alweld certainly looks like the better package. The trailer under the Nymph is in need of some TLC for sure.

This just proves how our wants/needs differ. I would have personally looked at the mod-v and the trailer at 2k and never given the nymph a second look. The Alweld is easily a $2300 or so boat.

Both are good looking boats. Depends on intended use. If you are doing more open water then the v hull is the obvious choice. To be honest, unless I was doing trolling or big water, I’d have chosen the allweld. It will be a tougher boat with more useable space and the trailer looks way better. Both boats need motor upgrades to at least double the hp unless you are in very small or hp restricted water. Good luck.

I have another thread 12 vs 14 that I indicated strictly 10hp water, basically small protected fingers. Should have pointed that out here. I figured that @1200 bucks, I won't get hurt. Didn't list originally, but it includes trolling motor, fish finder, nets, oars, life jackets, live well. I had already planned on cleaning and repainting most any trailer I find. After all, I am looking used.

New River Rat said:
This just proves how our wants/needs differ. I would have personally looked at the mod-v and the trailer at 2k and never given the nymph a second look. The Alweld is easily a $2300 or so boat.

Tinny Fleet said:
MrGiggles said:

I agree would place the value at closer to 12-1500, IMO, assuming all the paperwork (title, registration, etc. is all in order).

Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

I didn’t see the price on the sea nymph. Yeah that’s pretty fair. And the 9.5 while old, is considered pretty much bulletproof. Not sure if you’ve contacted sellers yet but here’s a tip. Don’t be afraid to make a cash offer quite a bit lower. I have got some great deals over the years by offering up to a third less than asking price. You never know what people have into an item or their situation. Maybe the boat came from an uncle for cheap or maybe they need money or are getting set to move. Only thing is, when you make an offer, you have to have the cash and be willing to go get it right now. I do a fair bit of buying and selling and have done quite well with “I’ll give you 800 cash and come get it tonight” type offers. Sometimes they get pissed, sometimes you get a counter offer and sometimes they are happy to have it gone. Not trying to tell you how to do your business, just trying to help you get the best value out of your money.

Appreciate the advice. As stated earlier, I have already spoken to the current owner and it is a three hour drive to see. Going to double up with a visit with my brother. Don't think the seller is desperate. A retired gentleman that only put up for sale in the fall, but didn't advertise. Appears to have been well taken care of. If the boat checks out, I think the price is fair, and only until I look at it will I know how to proceed. I hope there is a way to inspect under the deck for dryness.

Latest posts