Question on seat base mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
I am looking to rebuild my deck this spring and wanted to see what you guys thought. When you install your seat base mount, do you use bolts and washers through the plywood or do you use screws through the plywood and 2x4 support joists below it?

I see people doing it both ways. I was planning on the first option with bolts through the plywood only. I was hoping it would be enough support with 3/4" plywood.

I did a deck in 3/4 plywood (heavy!) on a 14’ boat. Used these bases with nut bolt and washer. Worked fine, used that boat for 5 years and it was fine when I sold it. 3/4 ply is pretty strong, as long as it’s not too far between stringers/braces it shouldn’t move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/4" ply in good shape is strong enough with regards to the seat base itself staying firmly attached. Just make sure you use large washers on the nut side. I try to use fender washers if they will fit.

Now if the deck isn't adequately supported near the base, you may get some twisting/bending of the plywood. But if you have 2x4 braces you could potentially tap into, it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts