Sealing Marine grade plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob1239

Reaction score
I have read several posts about sealing Marine grade plywood with epoxy and then covering with a paint or polyurethane for uv protection.

That stuff is expensive. Is it worth it? How long will each application last?

I do plan on carpeting the deck if that changes things (since it will hold more moisture. Boat will be garage kept when not in use.

Marine grade plywood is not worth it unless you use it for the hull, in my opinion.

Exterior grade, if sealed, will be fine for above waterline.

Epoxy is great but expensive.

Search for old timers formula, there =are several threads about that on this site. It will work good & much less expensive.

Somewhere there's a thread about new treated plywood that won't react with aluminum. Maybe called Eco? 84 Lumber sells it.

Polyester Resin is quite a bit cheaper than epoxy and should work just as good for sealing plywood floors. It also should be more available locally like in building supply stores (Lowes, Menards,etc.). Check out youtube.

crappie777 said:
Polyester Resin is quite a bit cheaper than epoxy and should work just as good for sealing plywood floors. It also should be more available locally like in building supply stores (Lowes, Menards,etc.). Check out youtube.
When using polyester resin you must use fiber glass otherwise the polyester resin will peel off the wood.
I have used the Old Timers Formula on ACX and BCX plywood.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
crappie777 said:
When using polyester resin you must use fiber glass otherwise the polyester resin will peel off the wood.
I have used the Old Timers Formula on ACX and BCX plywood.

Ditto that, only use polyester resin with glass, BCX is fine, epoxy is worth it but there are other methods that I haven't tried like the linseed oil method. I then painted mine and put sand in it for a non slip surface, worked great, I put the sand in the second coat of epoxy though not the paint. Don't like carpet, I get in and out and track too much mud in the boat.

Latest posts