New Member, New Boat, New Addiction...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgene

Reaction score
HI All!

I should clarify, new to me boat.

I have always fished from the shore and I finally decided to take the plunge.

This past weekend I picked up a 1972 14' Mirrocraft with a 6HP Tohatsu. I know, it's going to be slow, but I'm okay with that.

Current plans are maintenance, maintenance, and more maintenance.

Boat:
-Basic clean up
-Add rod holders
-Remove unnecessary stickers

Motor:
-Clean the carb
-Change engine oil
-Change gear oil
-Change fuel filter
-Get new gas (87 Octane, according to Tohatsu)

Trailer:
-Fix guide rail
-Install new lights
-Grease bearings
-Add spare tire holder
-Add wheel jack

Future Plans:
-Sand and paint the hull inside and out. The outside has some damage that was welded at some point. It doesn't leak but I would like to really clean it up.
-Add flat decking.
-Add bimini top
-Upgrade to a bigger motor, something in the 15HP range.

Oh and I forgot... pictures, everyone loves pictures.

QdOIlvO.jpg

Congrats on the new boat. It looks really good.

Good on you for getting all the maintenance done first. You might want to consider replacing the water pump also.

Either way nice boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking hull. I’ve always been a fan of the lapstrake look. As for the fuel, while pretty much all outboards run fine on 87, consider a premium non ethanol fuel. Here in Ontario, most premium fuel is non ethanol (there are sites that tell you which companies sell what). I run non ethanol in all my small engines because if it winds up sitting for a while, it’s ok. Good
Luck with your new boat, hope it’s fishy!

x2 on the water pump service.

You new boat looks great. Congrats. Where are your favorite fishing areas down in Southern California? We drive down fairly routinely to visit our daughter & youngest son. I see Pyramid Lake as we come down through the grapevine. It looks fairly large from I-5. I guess that could be a hike depending on what part of the LA area you are from.

PS: I don't think we can get non-ethanol gaso here in California (but hope I'm wrong).

The 1st thing I do is a full overhaul myself.
Changing the impeller is reasonably cheap and good insurance letting you see what the leg is like and insuring that the cooling system is functioning 100%.
Then setting up the basics like rod holders and the like I put aside until after I decide if im going to paint it or not.

But trailer maintenance is an absolute must, a boat is no good if you can't get it to the ramp or as a mate had happen loose a wheel on the way to the ramp.

TheLastCall said:

Good on you for getting all the maintenance done first. You might want to consider replacing the water pump also.

Either way nice boat.

Thank you!

I completely forgot about the water impeller replacement.

I found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyAwAbDAGI that I think will help, only problem is I can't find anything on how to take off the lower unit.

Definitely learning as I go.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Nice looking hull. I’ve always been a fan of the lapstrake look. As for the fuel, while pretty much all outboards run fine on 87, consider a premium non ethanol fuel. Here in Ontario, most premium fuel is non ethanol (there are sites that tell you which companies sell what). I run non ethanol in all my small engines because if it winds up sitting for a while, it’s ok. Good
Luck with your new boat, hope it’s fishy!

I don't think we have non ethanol fuel here in CA. I'll look for some but I think realistically I'll have to use an additive.

My plan is to use this boat twice a month all year round. So I don't think i'll need it, but will probably add it for piece of mind.

LDUBS said:

You new boat looks great. Congrats. Where are your favorite fishing areas down in Southern California? We drive down fairly routinely to visit our daughter & youngest son. I see Pyramid Lake as we come down through the grapevine. It looks fairly large from I-5. I guess that could be a hike depending on what part of the LA area you are from.

PS: I don't think we can get non-ethanol gaso here in California (but hope I'm wrong).

I fish all over but usually from the shore. You know, when you just put on some bait, throw it into the water and just wait.

Buying this boat will be a new adventure, found some crappie/LMB/catfish forums so i'm learning about lures, rod action, etc... Seriously a whole new world.

If you are coming down the 5 South, there is actually a cluster of about 4 lakes in that area. You have Quail Lake, Lake Piru, Pyramid Lake, and Upper Castiac Lake/Lower Lagoon.

If you ever come down, feel free to send me message.

Could always use new fishing buddies.

Bob9863 said:
The 1st thing I do is a full overhaul myself.
Changing the impeller is reasonably cheap and good insurance letting you see what the leg is like and insuring that the cooling system is functioning 100%.
Then setting up the basics like rod holders and the like I put aside until after I decide if im going to paint it or not.

But trailer maintenance is an absolute must, a boat is no good if you can't get it to the ramp or as a mate had happen loose a wheel on the way to the ramp.

Yep! That is the idea!

I want to do all the maintenance and just use the boat.

From there I can personalize it how I like it.

okgene said:
TheLastCall said:

Either way nice boat.

Thank you!

I completely forgot about the water impeller replacement.

I found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyAwAbDAGI that I think will help, only problem is I can't find anything on how to take off the lower unit.

Definitely learning as I go.

Can’t help you with your motor specifically but for the most part disconnect the gear case should be a rod at the front of the motor going into your lower unit. There should be a few bolts holding your lower unit on and then it should slide off. You shouldn’t have to force it.

You might want to consider getting the repair manual for that motor.

A factory service manual is invaluable, you might be able to get one online by looking up the model and service manual.

okgene said:
LDUBS said:

I fish all over but usually from the shore. You know, when you just put on some bait, throw it into the water and just wait.

Buying this boat will be a new adventure, found some crappie/LMB/catfish forums so i'm learning about lures, rod action, etc... Seriously a whole new world.

If you are coming down the 5 South, there is actually a cluster of about 4 lakes in that area. You have Quail Lake, Lake Piru, Pyramid Lake, and Upper Castiac Lake/Lower Lagoon.

If you ever come down, feel free to send me message.

Could always use new fishing buddies.

Thanks OKGene. We are actually driving down tomorrow afternoon to celebrate our youngest son's 27th B-day. As usual, it will be one of those zip down, visit and zip back on Sunday. Mrs. Ldubs might have something to say about it if I tossed a rod in the car. LOL

I would second that a service manual is a real good investment. Short of that, google "Tohatsu 6 HP water pump replacement" and you will likely see some videos.

Latest posts