Old 2 stroke fuel tank for new 4 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The10Man

Reaction score
I recently bought a 20 hp 4 stroke to replace my 8 hp 2 stroke. The new motor came with a 3 gallon gas tank which is plenty for fishing the local lakes around me. However, in about a month I’m going to be going on a camping/fishing trip and will need more than enough fuel as I’m going to be in a pretty remote area.

I have a 6 gallon tank that I used with my 2 stroke which has some gas and oil mixed. Can I clean the old 6 gallon tank and use it for my 4 stroke or should I just buy new, fresh 6 gallon tank? If so, what is the best way to discard the old fuel and clean the tank? Thanks!

Put what's in the 6 gallon in your tow vehicle, refill it with fresh fuel, enjoy. What 20 did you get?

Thanks for the reply kdgrills. I don’t think I can put the gas/oil mixture that is in my 6 gallon into my truck, can I? Wouldn’t that cause an issue with my vehicle’s fuel system?

I got the 20 hp Suzuki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I use up my leftover 2 cycle gas every fall, never an issue.
Just ran 5 gallons through my truck (2007 Ford Sport Trac) last month.

If you're not comfortable doing that then dispose of it some other way.
But there is no issue using the tank with your new motor.

Nice motor.

When I bought my boat, the guy told me he ran 50:1, even though the big stickers on both the fuel tank and the engine say 100:1. He used gas with ethanol, and some enzyme treatment. I wanted to get rid of the fuel that was in the tank.

I used the 50:1 all summer in my lawnmower without any issues.

Too bad, too-- I want a new lawnmower. I haven't changed the oil in about a decade, and the thing still won't die!

Shouldn't be any problem using the old tank, I use my old tanks with my 4 stroke Yamaha.
I wouldn't put the gas oil mix in my vehicles, probably wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't do it! If I had to get rid of it, I would add it to my riding lawnmower a little at a time and use it up. I have other 2 stroke motors that I just transferred the oil mix gas into those tanks, the oil mix gas wasn't an issue to get rid of.
What I did with the tanks I use for the 4 stroke was just empty them, put maybe 1/4-1/2 gal. of gas in them and slosh it around, dump that gas out for use elsewhere, and then fill them with fresh gas.

Thank you all for the advice! I probably won’t need to use my lawnmower for another month or two but I’ll probably let just use it for that. Glad to hear that I don’t need to buy a new tank and can just swirl some fresh gas around to clean it out. Thanks!

Won’t hurt anything and honestly a lot of people recommend running a little bit of 2 stroke oil in gas for 4 strokes. I could be wrong but I believe mercury recommended it for a little while because it would keep rust from forming inside of the vst tanks that the fuel pumps where in. Atleast I believe my Merc parts man told me that at one time

Latest posts