Let's have some fun---help me chose

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am dealing long distance, nothing close to home yet. I have narrowed it down to three so far, and could change, but I want to do something soon to give me time to revise, add, or recondition before season starts. Not the best pics, and will edit if I get more. Speed on the water is not a factor. I've got some of these scattered throughout the forum already. Still gathering information. A physical inspection will be the determining factor. Never know about surprises. My first stop will be at my servicing dealer for a motor inspection/service.

It's fun to spend other people's money, so how would you spend mine? For 10hp water.

14' 1973 Starcraft, 1999 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke, 1987 Trailmaster trailer, boat cover, extra tank, life jackets. Some flooring in boat. Will revise/alter.

$1300

14' 1987 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine, 1972 9.5 Johnson 2 stroke, 20" transom, live well, deck, built in rod holders,trolling motor, entry level fish finder, nets, life jackets, bearing buddies on trailer, but looks like some reconditioning in order. Will inspect Evinrude for soot under cowl for exhaust leak.

$1200

14' 1977 Mirrocraft, circa 70(??) 6hp Evinrude, trolling motor, front casting deck, battery and battery box, fish finder, new wench, life jackets. May have to add floor between seats. Can update motor later at this price.

$1000

I like the sea Nymph. that Johnson looks pretty clean whereas the Yamaha on the starcraft looks beat up for its age regardless of how good Yamaha is.... JMHO

I like the micro craft, it will need a bigger motor and a little trim work inside.
The nymph is a nice looking boat but the trailer looks shot, it might be the better buy, but I'd definitely put new hubs and tyres on it.

The Nymph is by far the most capable boat of the three if you ever get into rough water. That's not to say that you can't take big waves with a short transom though, I do it all the time. The livewell is a big plus too.

Do you know the widths by chance? It's pretty obvious that the Nymph and the Mirrocraft are at least 4ft wide, can't tell for sure with the Starcraft. I have a 42" wide Quachita and it's half the boat that my 48" wide Alumacraft is. 6" makes more of a difference than you can imagine.

Provided that the frame isn't completely rusted through, things like shackles, bearings, springs, etc, are all fairly inexpensive if you have the time to invest in rebuilding the trailer on the Nymph. It's the heaviest built boat of them all, and is the one I would buy, especially if the seller is willing to negotiate a little.

Thx. MrGiggles
I appreciate the comments.
I have no plans or desire to have it on any rough water. Probably never use the live well except for storage.
I have some other pics of the Starcraft and am confident it is probably close to 60". Nada shows nothing less than 65" for this year. Nada also list a 65" beam for the Sea Nymph. I do know from the Mirrocraft seller that it has a 60" wide transom, which puts the beam even wider.
I am hoping if I look at the Sea Nymph that I can see below deck for any issues. The trailer condition is hard to tell, but I don't think it is that bad, based on the condition of the boat. Could be wrong.

Even though I fish by myself most of the time I sold a 14 ft and got a 16 ft. It was a nice boat but it filled up with gear n stuff really fast.

WV1951 said:
jasper60103 said:
Any update? Have you seen either of these boats yet?

Have not. 3-4 hours away. Tentative plans are Friday, but could change.

A walkaround video would be a big help, or more pics including inside the boat and trailer.
The trailer definitely has to be road worthy.

WV1951 said:
It will either be a drive away with it or not.

Yes, I certainly understand that's a long drive.
I was implying the owner should provide more pics, video, etc before
you make the trip, if possible.

Latest posts