Watching Alaska reality shows

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I've been watching the Alaska reality shows, and it's interesting seeing which Jon boats the folks buy up there. It seems like Alweld and the Grizzley are the faves. That says a lot for the rougher service and environment they expect to use their boats in.

We watch Life Below Zero.

In the beginning, the Hailstones had a beat up boat with a borrowed motor. They made it work, though. Now they have the same rickety ol' boat, but with a nice, newer motor. It's a 60hp Yamaha, I think.

On last week's episode, Jessie made a ridiculous raft by bolting logs together. He tied it to the front of his boat, loaded it up with logs for firewood, and pushed it home on what appeared to be a very dangerous river. No thank you.

" they all seem to use pull start tillers"

I suspect that a pull start tiller has far fewer parts and is more reliable in their environment.

No batteries to charge or run down....think of the "stuff" it takes for remote steering; battery-powered starters; key switches; and on and on... No marinas or boat stores up there.

richg99

.Mike said:
On last week's episode, Jessie made a ridiculous raft by bolting logs together. He tied it to the front of his boat, loaded it up with logs for firewood, and pushed it home on what appeared to be a very dangerous river. No thank you.
Have you see the 20ft+ long flat bottom boat that Jesse built himself out of wood?

-CN- said:
Have you see the 20ft+ long flat bottom boat that Jesse built himself out of wood?
I've seen every episode!

Jessie has definitely improved his setup. I'm torn on whether he's a good fit for the show, though. He doesn't really do subsistence living like the rest of the people they follow. He drives a truck, lives along a road, has power lines running right past his property, and seems to buy much of his food. He has definitely chosen a tougher lifestyle than me, though!

He fits as well as Erik did. The first few seasons, he represented himself as living a subsistence life. The next couple seasons, we visit the hunting lodge he owns, see his airplane, his boat, etc. With luxuries like that, living below zero is much less interesting when watching from a subtropical climate.

I like life below zero and I watch another one....the last Alaskans? They will lose their land in the next generation? That’s a pretty good show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.Mike said:
We watch Life Below Zero.

In the beginning, the Hailstones had a beat up boat with a borrowed motor. They made it work, though. Now they have the same rickety ol' boat, but with a nice, newer motor. It's a 60hp Yamaha, I think.

they did the same thing on last nights episode, running in the shallows while trying to set nets

lovedr79 said:
i love these shows. i also like the swamp people. over loading the heck out of a jon boat like its nothing.

I always wonder why they put such nig motors on their boats, until you see them trying to move with 20-25 big gators on board. :lol:

Latest posts