V bottom jon boat vs flat bottom

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
scoobeb

Post by scoobeb » 01 Feb 2018, 23:23

I have a white pvc floor in my 1648 and it's the best floor imo you can put in a jon boat that will never ever rot besides,aluminum but the pvc is lifetime warranty so that's nice to. I cut foam in between the ribs and then put pvc board over it. I love it. The biggest issues is the seats get hot as heck,I mean,hot. If I go out early am then stay out all day the boat gets acclimated to the water so it actually is nice and cool even in the summer,it's when I want to go late morning or early afternoon it's just to hot to go.

Like I said I think I'm going with a 16 or 1852 or some type of bigger flat bottom boat I can,modify the heck out of.

RazorBaits
Sinkingfast

Post by Sinkingfast » 02 Feb 2018, 19:48

I often beach my boats and the flat bottom is very stable when beached on the shore. One can get in and out easy without the boat flopping around. Plus more area thats flat to put stuff. The v will part weeds and debris better though..
2 stroke every time I can
4 stroke only when I have to..I don't like boating with my lawn mower

surfman

Post by surfman » 07 Feb 2018, 08:50

scoobeb wrote:I have a white pvc floor in my 1648 and it's the best floor imo you can put in a jon boat that will never ever rot besides,aluminum but the pvc is lifetime warranty so that's nice to. I cut foam in between the ribs and then put pvc board over it. I love it. The biggest issues is the seats get hot as heck,I mean,hot. If I go out early am then stay out all day the boat gets acclimated to the water so it actually is nice and cool even in the summer,it's when I want to go late morning or early afternoon it's just to hot to go.

Like I said I think I'm going with a 16 or 1852 or some type of bigger flat bottom boat I can,modify the heck out of.
What is this material (PVC Floor) and where can you get it, please.

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb » 08 Feb 2018, 03:44

Home depot,it's $75 for a sheet,I believe it's 4x8. Best investment I've ever made. It's not slippery when wet,cleans up very easy with most stuff,I use white vinegar and water and it comes out pure white and clean. I've had it near 4yrs now and the sun won't effect it or any outside elements.

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb » 08 Feb 2018, 03:53

I apologize, it went up to $100 a sheet but imo still well worth every penny. Here is the link. It's reversible to,you want to use the rough side for more stability from any slipping which usually won't be an issue anyways,it's great stuff. I used my jig saw to cut it,just take your time cutting it and use a good fine blade. I used sandpaper to smooth any Jagged Edges down. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... QmPtS51ovU

WV1951
Donor

Post by WV1951 » 08 Feb 2018, 11:11

Veranda is Home Depot's house line of composite decking board. This may be considered trim board for composite deck installers and cut to size. Most composite trim board comes 1/2" thickness and is 12" wide by 10' long. This 4x8 sheet looks to be a good alternative. It would probably work well for your decking. Not sure about weight. Specifications do not list weight. Maybe Scoobeb can comment how it compares to plywood.

eshaw

Post by eshaw » 08 Feb 2018, 13:08

Sounds like the OP is in the same boat (pun intended) as the rest of us that want a multiple use boat. Thing is no boat does it all, that's why there are so many different types. If I wanted a shallow water boat for really weedy areas I'd go with a wide flat bottom with a fan on it, or maybe a surface motor like a mud motor. If the idea is to put a deck on it to use for a fishing platform I'd go with the widest welded aluminum jon I could get. If you don't mind giving up a little displacement I'd go with a coast guard style front on it.

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb » 09 Feb 2018, 04:25

eshaw wrote:Sounds like the OP is in the same boat (pun intended) as the rest of us that want a multiple use boat. Thing is no boat does it all, that's why there are so many different types. If I wanted a shallow water boat for really weedy areas I'd go with a wide flat bottom with a fan on it, or maybe a surface motor like a mud motor. If the idea is to put a deck on it to use for a fishing platform I'd go with the widest welded aluminum jon I could get. If you don't mind giving up a little displacement I'd go with a coast guard style front on it.
I've had bad luck with all welded boats cracking to easy,I will never buy an all welded aluminum boat again,I will buy a riveted boat due to it being able to flex. I've never ever had one riveted boat crack,leak yes but very easy fixes around a rivet and that's it.

I'm going to just stick to my 1648 for now and when I get money just upgrade to a 1852 flat bottom lowe Olympic jon boat and a 25hp engine and be happy with that.

aghudson

Post by aghudson » 16 Feb 2018, 17:38

eshaw wrote: If you don't mind giving up a little displacement I'd go with a coast guard style front on it.
This may be a stupid question but what do you mean by a coast guard style front?