Tiller seat placement.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Do you guys tend to place your seats for tiller steering center or offset?

Getting my list of mods ready!

I have had boats with seats offset and inline. I prefer offset and here’s why.. The offset allows me to see past anyone in the front of the boat. It also counters prop torque when I’m by myself. The boat I had inline (14’ mod v with 25hp) I had the battery, trolling motor and fuel tank all on the same side to keep it level while running at speed.
Don’t know what type of boat you have but my 16’ has bench seats and I use seat clamps so the seat positions are “tuneable” meaning you can slide them a bit to get the weight where I want it.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine starboard even though I'm right handed, rather use my right to hold on to the boat. So tiller in the left hand. Ive also used the clamp type mount for the last couple of runs. I'm happy with my location and height now so going to go ahead an bolt to the bench and ditch the clamp. I'll make a double 3/4" plywood riser to duplicate the height of the clamp system. I tried center seating but not enough room to turn left because my boat's bench doesn't have much room behind it. As it is right now I still have to swivel sideways slightly to make full lock lefts. YMMV.

I'd spend time on the water trying different positions. Try sitting inline, to port, and to starboard side. Find what you're most comfortable with. Also, try going out with someone as a passenger to see if that makes a difference. The clamp on seat brackets are nice because you can move them to get the best placement. It's your boat, it needs to meet you wants and needs.

I have mine just slightly offset to port side.

I don't like them offset very far, it's too hard to correct the list from my body weight in smaller boats.

Latest posts