1542 jon boat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shademt

Reaction score
I'd like to get a little bigger boat. I river fish a lot, smallmouth bass mostly. Some smaller lakes under 1500 acres.

A number of the places I launch from in the river get so shallow the prop hits in near the launch area if you try and motor up on the trailer. I usually use my trolling motor (bow mount) and just keep it up going into the launch. I Beach the boat on the up river side of the launch. Back my trailer in, shove the boat out, let it drift down then pull it up on the trailer. Sounds like a hassle but I have it down to a science, its actually very easy. I have a plank on my trailer I just walk down it. pull it on most of the way then winch it the rest.

I'm thinking 1542 simply because it would still be pretty light. 1648 would be nicer but heavier, and an all weld would be significantly heavier to man handle. I'm no weakling by a long shot, but I don't want to feel like I'm in a tug of war every time I trailer my boat either.

I'm using a 1436 now, fish 90% of the time by myself, and I stand and fish in it no problem. How much more stable would a 1542 be? And does anyone use a 1648 jon in similar situations? I'm not interested in a jet, once I'm out in the main river I can use my prop motor most places. places where I can't, I use the electric motor.

just would like to hear some other opinions on a bigger jon.

Latest posts