Transducer placement?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneo

Reaction score
Was reading another post, the transducer was on the port side and the boat owner was asking about moving it to the starboard side because it was located port side.
Does it matter which side of the transom the transducer is mounted on?

When we put on our Hook5 Lowrance it did not state to place on the starboard side of the transom. We placed ours on the port side because that was were we have the fish finder mount located.

Please educate me #-o

Thanks

I've been researching transducer placement, getting ready to install one on my boat. I came across this page: https://www.sternmate.com/Where.html

Port or Starboard Transducer Installation - Installing your high speed transducer either port or starboard (or anywhere in (includes imaging X'ducers too) between) is perfectly acceptable. We've heard all the tales about "prop wash" and prop rotation affecting a transducer sounding, and it will as long as you are reversing with an I/O or Outboard or moving forward at a very low speed. At speed, water from these outdrive props is jetted aft, not forward...not left or right nor port or starboard (see prop twist).

You want to place it in the least turbulent water possible, for best image.

The rotation of the prop causes turbulence on the port side.( almost all props rotate in the same direction ) if you place it on the starboard means less turbulence.

Most outboards it’s not a big problem but inboard when your transducer is behind the prop it makes a huge difference.

On a outboard, If it’s placed far enough away from the prop it’s no problem. If you have a jack plate it’s less of a problem.

If you pay 500+ for a fish finder you want the best image possible why risk screwing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts