Jon or V or Mod V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
I was not going to highjack scoobeb's post-"V bottom jon boat vs flat bottom", but there seems to me to be a slight discretion of what we call our tinnies. I have fished and owned all of these in my life and this is what I've called each body style. Have I been calling these the wrong thing?

"V" Hull
launch-12-aluminum-v-hull-boat-2.gif.jpg

Modified "V"
GRIZZLY-1448-Jon_img21486_900.jpg

Jon
Topper-1542-LW-Riveted-Jon_img50046_900.jpg

That’s how I see it. I think in some areas, mod v gets called v hull. Sometimes to be clear, I will call a v hull a deep v. Lol. It’s all pretty subjective in my opinion. Flip them all over and they’re all fairly flat on the bottom (at least the part that touches the water while on plane). I move that we heretofore change the terminology to;
Flat nose
Kinda pointy nose and
Really pointy nose.
All in favor say aye??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the biggest confusion is when people say "jon", you can't tell if they are referring to the modified V "jon" or the flat bottom "jon".

Around here we would call them V hull, V nose punt and punt, although a true punt would be a little wider.
But everyone would call all 3 a tinny, any aluminum trailer/roof top boat is a tinny.

I call them the same. But here in the Great Lakes. People would call that first one a v-hull flat bottom. Because it flattened out at the stern. A true v- hull holds some degree of v all the way to the stern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More importantly whats everyone's favorite?

For me its the V nose punt or Modified V.
I find it the best for the fishing and hunting that I do, its the best for the lakes and the rivers, it will do the job in the estuaries as well.

Interesting discussion.

I recently bought a 2007 1756 Lowe VT. Of the various tin boats that I have owned, this is the ONLY boat with a slight deadrise in the stern. Before I bought it, I checked with my mechanic who didn't think the small deadrise would affect her shallow water abilities.

I can say that she cuts the waves better than my 1648 G3 Semi-V.

I think the Width has a LOT to do with stability. Even with the V running from bow to stern, she is very stable when I walk around.

There sure are a ton of choices in tin boats.

The second picture is what I've come to know as a flat john with a coast guard front end.

MrGiggles said:
So where does Semi-V fit into all this?

Dunno, for sure. I'm thinking semi-V is the same as mod-V. I read somewhere during this post evolved that (at the stern) 16 to 19 degrees are modified-V types, while sharper angles are deep-V types.

Should this be considered a jon? I don't.

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/bpo/d/12ft-jon-boat-trade/6475025180.html

00s0s_d6hl0qo8zZm_1200x900.jpg

New River Rat said:
gatorglenn said:
yes, if it is flat from the under turn at bow.

I've just never considered a plastic boat being called a "jon". I call them puddle hoppers.
lol yea I know me to . What makes to boat is the way it’s made and not type of material.

gatorglenn said:
New River Rat said:
gatorglenn said:
yes, if it is flat from the under turn at bow.

I've just never considered a plastic boat being called a "jon". I call them puddle hoppers.
lol yea I know me to . What makes to boat is the way it’s made and not type of material.

Yep I'd see it the same, its about the design and not the material, I'd almost call that boat a punt but not quite.

Latest posts