New Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_JIM

Reaction score
Just joined the forum. A lot of great info. I currently have a Alumacraft 1448 with a 20 Yamaha. Love the boat other than the fact that is has a 15' transom. Because of a shoulder injury I need power trim and tilt. I know Tohatsu makes a short shaft with trim and tilt but dealers are few and far between here in Minnesota. Suzuki also has a short shaft with trim and tilt but don't know much about them. I have a few options. Go with a Suzuki or Tohatsu, Elevate my transon to 20", jack plate or a different boat.

There is a used 2010 Grizzly 1448 for sale here. I like the fact that it is a welded boat and has a flat floor and casting deck. It also has a side console. My plan would be to put a new 25 HP E-tec on it. I did a search on this site and seen some threads where people say a 25 will barely get the Grizzly on plane. That concerns me.

Another option I am considering is a new 1648 Alumacraft side console with no center seat and an aluminum floor. I would also put a 25 HP E-Tec on it.

Lastly I looked at the new Tracker Heritage. Lots of features for a $10K boat. The Alumacraft would only be about $1K cheaper and would not include 4 seats. a live well, 15 more horse power, trolling motor and lower end electronics. After adding the trolling motor and electronics the Alumacraft would cost more.

My cheapest option is the short shaft with trim and keep my boat but I am looking for the best value.

Any opinions would be welcomed. I will probable pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. Right now I am leaning towards the Grizzly.

"Go with a Suzuki or Tohatsu, Elevate my transom to 20", jack plate or a different boat"

If you need Tilt and Trim, then just a Jack plate won't do that, unless the JP is needed to accommodate the new engine.

However, a CMC T&T 35 ( or other similar devices) will. There are a number of comments on this site that knock the CMC unit, but recommend another brand ..maybe Panther??.

Either way, that approach has some nice features. You get the Tilt/Trim that you want. You also get a Setback that should increase your speed and allow you to raise your engine a few inches, gaining shallow water access.

Additionally, if you decide to buy another boat, you can move the motor and T&T unit to it.

If your present engine is "iffy" then a new T&T engine will certainly last a lot longer.

I enjoy buying a boat and fixing it up, but doing that to solve the T&T problem seems extreme, even for me. Ha Ha

Remember, "Better the devil that you know, than the devil that you haven't met yet."

I hope some other guys will post soon. They will have other suggestions, I am sure.

regards, and welcome aboard.

As a fabricator and jury rigger I can’t help but think. If you are happy with your current setup other than you can’t tilt the motor, why not come up with a handle that clamps on to give you some mechanical advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have something like that. Cabelas sells them. Still not enough.

Latest posts