Casting deck build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbergeron4

Reaction score
Hey guys just joined this forum. I have an old 14’ Starcraft that I plan to build a casting deck on. I’ve build one before, but used all wood. This time I’d like to go with angle auminun. Now I’m sure this question has been beat to death here but I searched and couldn’t find any threads with the answers I’m looking for.. basically what size angle do I need to frame this out without having to use vertical supports? I plan to sheath with 1/2” marine plywood with a few holes cut out for storage. Any info would help. Thanks guys!

Can you post a sketch? I am not sure what you mean by no vertical support.

Do you you want to span gunwale to gunwale & have an open shelf?

Something like that will take some load strength calculations.

The joints where it connects to gunwales will be under high stress.

Most of the time the front benches provide the support. I think I used 1/8" x 1 1/8" x 1 1/8" alum angle for the floor in mine and covered it with alum composite panels.

I was planning on trying to span bench to bench and then side to side just to frame in my storage hatches. I didn’t want to run anything vertical because I didn’t want to make and holes in the floor of the boat. I guess I could add a couple vertical supports to cut the span from 38” to about 18” which should be plenty I would think? I’m working on a sketch but I’m a little anal about it being exactly to scale so I know exactly what I need for materials. Will post as soon as it’s finished

Latest posts