Keel guard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kep1662

Reaction score
Anybody ever use a bed liner like product for a keel shield? Wonder if it is tuff enough for boat ramps.

I guess, from the lack of responses, that no one had tried the bedliner yet. Interesting thought, though. I'd imagine that it would chip off easily, but I have no experience with bedliner for any application.

good luck.

Only time I have seen bed liner used on the bottom of a water vessel was about fifteen years ago. Working for the fire department we were given two PWC. They were nice! This set forth a complete training and certification program for water rescue personnel.
With that being said, after a few minor scuffles during training, one of the initial instructors got a local bed liner company to line the hulls of the PWC with bed liner for free!
With out the approval of his superiors or the vehicle maintenance shop, the PWC's were taken out of service and bed liner applied!
WOW,, it looked awful! Imagine a brightly colored fire rescue PWC with a Black bed liner half way down the hull?
Then,, the weight made the biked sit allot lower in the water, they were slower because the surface is very rough.

The idea on pen and paper sounded ok, but in reality,, it was not a viable option! Unless you could get it in a very smooth application, the resistance and weight will hamper the hull design and performance!
When the PWC dealer that loaned the PWC for free found out what happened they took the PWC back because that voided the warranty!
So needless to say,,, the PWC water rescue program came to an abrupt end!

I used liquid electrical tape for coating under front at start of v. This application was on a bass boat. I did not know how tough this stuff was.,and it is cheap. Two coats lasted for 6 years, when i sold boat, it still looked good

The liquid tape is a good idea, reminds me, I used to buy a small can of Hockey skate toe coating to protect the toe kick on hockey skates. very durable thick plastic coating. Found out from another guy on my team that black ABS cement does the same thing and way cheaper!
I would bet that ABS cement with multiple layers would work good!

Latest posts